• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Participant

I need to fit a auto helm on my B38, has anyone fitted one & what sort,
      the electric motor sort that drives the wheel via the wheel chain drive sprocket,
      or the one that fixes to the rudder stock.
      Thanks for any help.
      Bill.

Webmaster
      Participant

Hi Bill

Go for the big Autohelm – I think it is a 7000 now (but was a 6000 when Playtime was fitted out). I couldn’t sail the boat (2 up only) without it.

Mine has the big motor at the base of the pedestal and drives the rudder through the same cables as the wheel. My advice, though, would be, if there is room, to fit the linear drive that operates directly on the rudder quadrant. I once sailed my Moody 346 from 30 miles south of Bishops Rock into Falmouth, and berthed it, all under Autohelm (linear drive) when a steering cable swage let go under spinnaker, racing from Cork to Treguier. Those were the days!

Roger

Webmaster
        Participant

Bill,
          I’d second Rogers recommendations. The linear drive direct on to the rudder quadrant is the better solution. It easily fits in the lazarette on a 36 so you should have no problem on a 38.
          Congrats on the new purchase.
          Rick

Webmaster
          Participant

Hi Bill
            You are most probably sorted out by now but I thought you might be interested to know that on our recently (actually on the Royal wedding day) aquired Bav 38 (2008 model) we are just having an autohelm fitted and are going for Raymarine SPX30 autopilot with Lewmar “Bavaria” Integra drive unit and ST6002. It should be fitted next week so we are looking forward to using it.
            regards
            Chris. Hymers
            Brodie Boy ( previous boat Osprey)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘Bavaria 38’ is closed to new topics and replies.