• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi to one and all

We have a share in a 2003 B36 out in the Dodecanese and have surprisingly been advised by two different boat yards over the last two years that we should have the keel lowered etc. The only eveidence that I can see is slight rust staining at the keel hull interface . The bolts are fine and no water ingress is taking place.
      Can’t help beiing slightly suspicious that our yard friends see us as a cash cow ,can anyone share any similar experiences.

Regards

Graham & Sue Atkins

Anonymous

What reason do they give for suggesting dropping the keel?

Is it a cast iron or a lead keel?

If it is lead, then the rust staining is probably indicating a problem with the keel bolts, in which case dropping the keel may be a wise precaution. After the bolts are checked, the hull to keel joint can be properly sealed so the problem does not reoccur.

If it is a cast iron keel then a bit of rust staining at the keel joint is quite common. Maybe all that is required in that case is a bit of sealant around the joint?

Roger

Anonymous

Roger

Thanks for the reply.

Keel is cast iron and the bolts are SS.

Evidence is ,as you surmised a few very small areas of rust staining at the interface .

I think we will be gouging out and resealing and seeing what transgresses in 2010

happy sailing

Graham and Sue

Canigou and Island Girl 🙂

Anonymous

Hi, I have had exactly the same problem with a 40. I think it is quite common. This year I have made a more thorough job of gouging out and resealing so I am keen to see the result when she is next hauled out.

Regards

John
            Loblolly

Anonymous

John

Thanks for the reply,

Will get gouging etc

Graham

Anonymous

Hi
                What sealant are you using for the join. Mine appeaars to be black.

Martin

Anonymous

We have recently slipped our 2004 B36 for the first serious inspection and maintenance since the pre purchase survey four months ago. I was shocked to see a gap had opened up at the top of the leading edge of the lead keel. I scraped out the remaining sealant, resealed with polyurethane sikaflex, torqued up the keel bolts, wiped off the excess sealant and all is good. I will certainly add a retorquing of the keel bolts to the maintenance schedule.

John

Anonymous

Although stainless steel as used in keel bolts, is a wonderful material, be aware that there is a situation where it will let you down. The situation that you need to be aware of is when stainless steel remains immersed in stagnant seawater. In such situation stainless steel will corrode, and resulted in me having to change one of the keel bolts in a previous boat. Where you have evidence of rust around the keel to hull joint, you need to ensure that it is not the keel bolts that are decomposing. If the seal in that area begins to breakdown, it is most likely that the exposed area of cast iron keel is rusting and hence the weeping rust stains seen. Do nothing about it and any seawater trapped and remaining stagnant in that area will then result in corrosion of the stainless keel bolts.
                    The same problem can occur in the exhaust system where a stainless silencer is fitted and where the boat is rarely used. Look at the first splash of water to come out of the exhaust when starting the engine. If its brown then corrosion is probably in progress. If the stainless parts become holed you will notice water entering the bilge along with carbon monoxide gas into the enclosed area of the cabins. Be warned !!
                    Best of luck in dealing with the problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The forum ‘Bavaria 36’ is closed to new topics and replies.