• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    davefortey
    Participant

Hello all,
      I have a Bavaria 32 (2003/4) I wish to fit an electric anchor windlass in the empty anchor locker. looking at a few other Bavaria’s there seem to be a number of options on how to fit one, a shelf, use of the bulkhead for two. likewise winches, I am looking at a Lofrans Cayman, and possibly using the engine starter battery running cables from the battery located port side main cabin bench. I would appreciate any comments on teh project, many thanks dave

bobclements
      Keymaster

I seem to remember someone asking about this a while ago. If my memory serves me correctly, there isn’t a shelf in the anchor locker of a 32, which means there is nowhere to mount a windlass unless you put a horizontal one on the deck behind the anchor locker. I think it was concluded that the best answer is to make and bond in a shelf out of play coated in grp.

bobclements
        Keymaster

As far as powering it goes, mine is powered from the main bank with cables running forwards, and it works fine. You will need pretty big cables though and a big fuse near the batteries. Connecting it to the starter battery should be ok, so long as you only use the winch while the engine is running.

davefortey
          Participant

Thanks Chaps. yes you are quite correct there is no shelf within the anchor locker of the B32. I have had a look at a few boats and think I will construct a shelf as opposed to using the bulkhead. Its reassuring to know that your power supply run forward is sufficient and doesn’t suffer too much power drop, therefore I expect to run power from the starter battery located midships. I would expect to always be running the engine when anchoring.

many thanks for your comments.

Anonymous

I have a Bavaria 32 (2003) and it has a Lofrans Cayman 88 windlass installed in the anchor locker … as far as I know it was installed when the new boat was fitted out. There is plenty of room and as far as I recall the windlass is bolted onto an existing GRP shelf. I don’t think any difficult work is required.

Power is run from a Lofrans solenoid (I have fitted a remote system to it) in behind the switch panel. There is no separate battery. All works perfectly and it is a godsend when anchoring.

You are more than welcome to spend as long as you want looking at my installation … but Bubble is in Fleetwood …

davefortey
              Participant

Thank you Jonathan, I have indeed moved on since I first posted, I have a Cayman88 and am in the process of fitting a shelf. I have fitted the electrics, running down port side from the second recreational battery. Having researched and planned it out it has been quite a straight forward job, the hardest part is making a two part shelf out of  18mm ply and west system epoxy and fitting it through a relatively small opening. I will produce an article on the job for interest when completed.

duncancw
                Participant

Hi Dave
                  I too have a B32 and I’m thinking about fitting an electric windlass. Did  you produce an article when you completed the job, as I would be very interested in reading all about how you did it?

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by duncancw.
                  davefortey
                  Participant

Hello Duncan, i haven’t completed an article yet, to be honest having problems uploading pictures and subject.

however i am happy to talk you through what i did. my email is dfortey@sky.com

rgds dave fortey

Anonymous

I am surprised to read comments about building a shelf. In my B32 (2003) the Cayman 88 is fitted onto what is obviously (to me) an original shelf which is simply the aft part of the area under the aft end of the anchor locker doors. It all looks very neat and professional and the windlass works very well. My electrics are on the starboard side and the relay is in the (congested) connection panel behind the switch panel. There seems to be no performance issues with cables that long. The installation was professionally done when the new boat was fitted out but I have added a remote control system. I would say that wireless remote control is an essential facility to have, especially if you single-hand. I have to say that my Cayman 88 with the remote is a total joy to use and, every time I use it, I remember the miserable, wet, messy, back-breaking struggles I had on previous boats which had no windlass. With a remote you can set and recover your big heavy anchor wit your hands in your pockets.

If anyone wants photos of my installation I can get them when next up at the boat – probably in the next couple of days.

There isn’t much maintenance to do but I’d advise taking the gypsy off every year and giving the mating surfaces a good clean and grease (I use seacock grease). The little manual ratchet (which I’ve never used) which manually locks the gypsy is always solid with salt at the end of a season. I habitually hose the windlass down occasionally, trying to get fresh water under its mounting surface to minimise corrosion, but it’s 18 years old and looks almost new.

Don’t get the proper Lofrans ‘marine’ remote – get a cheap winch remote off eBay. Forget wired remotes: it would be hopeless trying to connect it up in a heavy sea.

Don’t bother with a chain counter either … the Cayman releases about 5 metres every 10 seconds.  I certainly wouldn’t bother with a separate battery unless you anchor constantly. Just keep the engine running when using the windlass.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.