• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a failure of a stanchion base caused by galvanic reaction between the stainless stanchion post and the aluminium base? Late in September as I heaved the dinghy onboard I failed to realise that my crewmate helping was somewhat shorter than my co-owner who is normally my assistant and as I heaved inboard the dinghy dragged slightly on the upper safety wire and a stanchion….. the latter came adrift from its position under the toe-rail. I assumed this would be simply a re-position job but soon decided I’d better take the side of the cabin down and take a proper look. I was horrified to discover that the whole base was adrift and soon realised that the through bolt had nothing but fresh air below it having spent the last 10 years erroding it’s merry way through the aluminium casting between it and the foredeck! Dan at Clipper Marine is ordering me one from Germany but I am very disturbed to think just what might happen in other circumstances when the strength of the stanchion might be critical in ensuring safety at sea.

Anonymous

Does anyone go on this website? I refuse to believe that this is the only case of corrosion on these stanchion bases …… interestingly they redesigned them for 2002 boats onwards.

Anonymous

I replaced all my stanchion bases with stainless steel ones and backing plates on the inside.

Mike
          Artemis

Anonymous

Hi, I too have some quite serious corrosion on my bav 34. It is on the toe rail on the bow and at the point where a stainless bolt is fitted, on the back of this is the earth for the windlass – which I assume is the cause? any ideas or remedies please?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘Bavaria 34’ is closed to new topics and replies.