• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi all
      Just about to fit a fridge unit in a 2004 36Ft yacht.
      I am also adding a second battery to cover the additional power requirement.
      Can anyone tell me what the “standard” Bavaria arrangement is for the two batteries?
      Where did Bavaria locate the second battery?
      The two I have are both 12v 140Ahr.
      Does anyone know where to get the battery “hold downs” that clamp to the lip onto the base of the battery?

Thanks in advance.

Tia Dalma

Anonymous

I think you’ll find that 2 x 140ah batteries is standard and most people find them adequate to run a fridge. If you are determined to add an extra battery it should ideally be as close as possible to the existing set. You’ll need to make a new battery compartment, incl level floor under a saloon berth. i used playwood and fibreglass. Bear in mind that if the existing batts are a bit tired you should really replace the old ones at the same time. I think you’ll find that the standard hold down arrangement only works with the Bosch batts supplied from new. You’ll need standard battery clamps for different manufacturers batts – avail from any auto spares shop.
        When I replaced my batts ( & added a 3rd at the same time) I used Bardens, who’ll give you good advice.

John

Anonymous

Hi John
          Thanks for the reply.
          The boat only has a single battery installed at the moment.
          As part of the fridge install I want to add a second battery.
          I wanted to add it in the same way Bavaria would have done had it been a factory fitting.

Were both batteries installed under the starboard seat?
          Were they installed fore and aft?

Do you know where I can get the battery retaining fixings from?

Regards
          Colin
          Tia Dalma

Anonymous

You can obtain the original type Bosh battery from http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/local/garage-services/ai_43062.php I had one last year from them very helpful, they used to supply Bavaria when they were based at Haying. Came across this French site that has the Battery clips http://www.uchimata-shop.fr/

Anonymous

MoodyMike
              Thanks for the response. I have ordered the battery retaining clips from the French site, hope they arrive by the end of the week.
              I already have the battery as I have purchased 2 x 12v 140Ahr from Barden.
              Do you know how they where installed by Bavaria?
              I assume they were installed under the starboard seating by the engine started battery?
              Was hoping someone could post a photo the factory fitted option.

Thanks again for the help.

Colin
              Tia Dalma

Anonymous

Hi Colin,

We have a B34 which is almost identical to the 36 and we have fitted 2×140 domestics and a 40 amp charger. They all sit very well under the Starboard berth. We did not like the way the original battery was fastened down with the clamps so we modified the whole arrangement with a bit of good engineering. I have full set of photographs and can give you details of what we did but I cannot post photographs on the forum. Everyone tells me how simple it is but for some reason since I changed my PC it does not work for me.

If you want the photographs and full information my email is alanburns1@talktalk.net

We have a list to Starboard as a result of our boat being the owners version with the heads to Starboard and the additional weight of the batteries and everything that goes into the cockpit locker. At least it is better than a list to Port but it does make cleaning the waterline more difficult with staining above the line of the antifoul.

Anonymous

@saloma wrote:

Hi Colin,
                  We have a list to Starboard as a result of our boat being the owners version with the heads to Starboard and the additional weight of the batteries and everything that goes into the cockpit locker. At least it is better than a list to Port but it does make cleaning the waterline more difficult with staining above the line of the antifoul.

Hi guys

Just bought my first Bav (a 34) and just joined the BOA. Really surprised by this comment; I’ve got the Owners version with 1x55aH engine battery, 2x140aH domestics, heads, holding tank and a packed stbd locker incl 2 foldup bikes and ours doesn’t list at all. I was so surprised, I just checked a photo I took a couple of months ago. Absolutely level. What else have you got in there???? 🙂

ATB

Mark (“Figaro”)

Anonymous

Hi Mark, I have had this list from the day we took delivery and we made it worse when we fitted the second 140 domestic battery and the charger in the starboard side. It would be interesting to hear from other owners of B34 owners versions, and owners of the two aft cabin versions to see how many have a list to Starboard. I thought about and checked that the mast is set up with equal length of cap shrouds, that the keel is vertical and central on the hull. I cannot find any other reason for the list than the Starboard side of the boat being heavier than the port side. Now that you say yours is level, the next time I am in Brittany I will carry out a whole series of measurements to see what I am missing. There have been reports of other Bavaria’s that do have a list and it always seems to be to Starboard. Mine is about 50 mm at the waterline amidships, so a lift of 25 mm on starboard would see the boat level.

Anonymous

Hmmm, makes me wonder what little ‘extra’ I’ve inherited on the port side to balance Figaro up. Remind me to not ever race you guys on stbd tack… 😆

Anonymous

…..older B32’s are the same. My 2002 version, ‘Another Fantasy’, has had a list to starboard since new. Infuriating but you learn to live with it!!

Ian Culley

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.