• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am about to order a Delta anchor for my Bavaria 34. Having checked the size required on various charts I am at a loss as it appears that a 10kg will do the job but that is lighter than the original Bavaria anchor. 16KG will be more than adequate but as I am now 70 years young I would much rather be using the lighter anchor providing it has the holding power.
      Has anyone had experience of using a 10Kg Delta on a Bavaria 34 or 36.

Anonymous

Probably not the response you wanted to hear but CaSam was supposed to have a 10KG Delta from new…. I took one look at it and worried, I thought about sleepless nights just waiting for it to slip. So I went for the 16KG instead!

Well worth it for the peace of mind.

I understand the concerns of the aditional weight and short of also going for a windlass (or a young crew member) there is no way around it. Naturally I guess it also depends on the type and location of the anchoring that you intend to do….. I’m sure in the right conditions that the 10 will be fine – just “what if?”

Noteworthy though is to take consideration of the physical sizes of the two units. The 16 is substantially larger and whilst it fits into the bow roller OK it would impede if you intended to fly a kite from a bowsprit at the same time, (unless you make a bit of a mod.)

Steve

Anonymous

Saloma: just to add to the discussion, I have a Bavaria 30 with the 10kg Delta, and despite sitting comfortably in the “recommended” area of Delta’s graphs, I’ve not been happy with the holding this year (our first with Freebird) – especially given the larger than average amount of windage the Bavs tend to have. We’ve not dragged as such, but in highish winds I’ve noticed some slippage that has caused me a couple of sleepless nights. We’re upgrading to the 16kg – like yourself, I’d rather have less weight if poss, but like CaSam, I’d MUCH rather have peace of mind!

Chris

Anonymous

Thanks for that Chris, I have written to Lewmar for their comments. I am a bit concerned about the size of the 16kg as I have modified my bow roller to a twin and have made a bowsprit that sits and connects to the port hand side of the mod. The bowsprit sits well above the anchor but the wire downhaul, which comes back to a ring eye at the bottom of the forestay chain plate is very close. Does anyone know if the Delta 16KG is wider than the original Bavaria anchor. I cannot measure mine as I keep the boat in Brittany now and will not be going out until April.
            Chris, if you want to sell your 10kg Delta I would be interested as I will need one for our Westerly Merlin which we are also looking to change to a delta from the original CQR. My email is alanburns1@talktalk.net.
            Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

No worries! As to the 10kg, we actually have the same size questions as you – we have the 16kg Delta on order at our chandlers with a promise that if it doesn’t fit on the roller, they’ll take it back – we too don’t return to Freebird until April! You’ll probably have been sorted by then, but I’ll drop you a lime if it’s still available.

Best wishes,

Chris

Anonymous

Alan, I’ll be back down to CaSam later in the week and can measure the 16 for you if you want…. if there any specific angles that you want let me know?

Forgive the background etc. and this was prior to the recent storms with extra lines, but just to give some idea on how the anchor sits on CaSam.

Steve

Anonymous

Thanks Steve. I have managed to zoom in on your photograph and feel reasonably happy that I can fit the 16kg if that’s the route I go down. Lewmar were not very helpful. They said the 10kg was good for boats up to 40 ft but then went on to say that the 16kg would be more than adequate and offer a great deal of comfort. You would think the manufacturer of the anchor would be a bit more specific. As we need a 10kg for our Westerly merlin I am thinking of obtaining one and fitting to the Bav34 to do some pull out trials, compared with the original Bavaria anchor. If it sets better and holds better than the original I will go for the 10kg. if not then its up to the 16Kg.

Thanks for your help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.