• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

We are just about to get a B38 which needs an autohelm. Looking at Raymarine can anyone tell me why I would want the SPX30 instead of the SPX10 ? The unladen displacement is 7185kgs so fully laden I reckon no more than +20% which would give 8,623 kgs. We have had 2 quotes so far and one includes a SPX10 and the other SPX30 so I thought it best to find out first hand. Any advice welcome.
      Regards
      Chris.Hymers

Anonymous

Hi, I had the SPX10 fitted about a year ago to my Bav 40 as recommended by Hudson Marine. It kept tripping out and had to have a relay fitted and since then it has been fine. Hope that is a bit of help.
        Regards, John
        Loblolly

Anonymous

Hi John
          Do you know what caused the tripping out? Do you think it would still have tripped out with the SPX30?
          The B38 we are getting has a 40hp instead of the standard 29hp do you think this makes a difference? What HP does the B40 have is it 40hp? Can you help with any other info regarding the autohelm? Thanks for the reply.
          Regards Chris

Anonymous

Chris

I have a Raymarine SPX 10 computer coupled with a ST70 control head and S1G servo on my B32. Obviously the B32 is much lighter than the 38 so we’re not comparing like with like in that regard but I’ve found the set up completely reliable, after a few initial teething troubles were eradicated. It copes well in the roughest conditions and the display functionality of the ST 70 is outstanding.

I’m not quite sure what the other posts are referring to when they mention ‘tripping out’. Is it an electrical disconnect or mechanical; I had trouble with my original ST 60 wheel pilot: the clutch would disengage under heavy loads. That’s why I upgraded to the system I have now.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Ian Culley
            B32 ‘Another Fantasy’

Anonymous

A correction to my last post. When I referred to the ST 60 wheel pilot I meant to say ‘ST 4000+’ wheel pilot. Apologies!!

Ian

Anonymous

Hi Chris,

I am not to strong on understanding electronics but I will try to explain. The course computer was unable to deliver the surge of current demanded by the motor. The relay was fitted to cope with this. I have not had a problem since. My engine is a 55hp but I do not think the engine size is a concern. Hope that helps,

Regards, John
                Loblolly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.