• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I would like to fit a battery monitor to our B36 to keep track of the charge status of 2x150Ahr AGM house batteries. I understand that I need to install the shunt in series in the negative ground lead from the batteries. Has someone found the best location for this? Any other tips would be much appreciated.
      John

Anonymous

Hi John

I just screwed the shunt to the side of the locker holding the batteries and bought some Halfords battery leads (doubled up) to connect the battery negative to the shunt. The original negative battery lead then connected to the other side of the shunt. Make sure the shunt is only in the lead to the House batteries, though; you don’t want the starter current going through it!

This was on a 38 Ocean where the batteries are under the starboard saloon berth. However, the position of the shunt is non critical – just keep the new battery lead length to a minimum.

Roger

Anonymous

Thanks Roger,

The negative from my house batteries is connected to the negative pole on the starter battery and from there to ground. Should I therefore be inserting the shunt between the house battery negative pole and the starter battery?

John

Anonymous

@Sweet As wrote:

Thanks Roger,

The negative from my house batteries is connected to the negative pole on the starter battery and from there to ground. Should I therefore be inserting the shunt between the house battery negative pole and the starter battery?

John

Yes – it was the same arrangement on Playtime. I should have mentioned this in my first response but you have worked it out correctly.

Roger

Anonymous

What type of battery monitor do you intend fitting?

Anonymous

The battery monitor is an Expert lite. That is what it sells as in Australia at least.

John[attachment=0:2c4n36by]Expert lite.gif[/attachment:2c4n36by]

Anonymous

Thanks John,
                  I think it is known as the Link 10 in the UK. I had a Link 20 on my previous boat which usedto create quite a battery discharge when boat was idle. Have you found this?

Anonymous

It doesn’t appear to have any impact sitting in the box it was delivered in! 😆 I’ll let you know what happens once I have connected it. John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.