• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am finding it difficult getting a definitive specification for a 2-blade folding propeller on a Bavaria 32. I have searched around and helpful people have said what they have on other boats, but given that these things are very expensive, I want to be confident that I am buying the right one before I order.

This is the position:

Bavaria 32, shallow fin, Volvo Penta MD2020-D 18Hp with MS25S sail drive. At present the prop is (believed to be) the standard fixed 2-blade model. I don’t know the size (the boat is afloat) but a photo is attached.

I tend to cruise under engine at about 2800 rpm. The engine’s maximum range is 3200-3600.

Volspec suggest the following – presumably for a Volvo Penta prop:
      2 Blade Folding
      @ 3200 rpm 17 x 11 – but others suggest 16.
      @ 3400 rpm 16 x 11
      @ 3600 rpm 16 x 10

Has anyone fitted a folding prop to a Bavaria 32 configured as mine is? Which is the size and model to go for?

Grateful for any help.

Jonathan

Anonymous

This thread may help?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1061

Effectively I think that the 16 is a good option!

Anonymous

Thank you, CaSam.

So yours is the Volvo, obviously. 16 x what?

I now have a quotation from Bruntons for a Varifold 2-blade and they are suggesting 2 blade Varifold 15” x 10”. £800 + VAT + shipping, which is probably a good price and, I suspect, less than the Volvo. There is a testimonial on their site from someone with a B32 who reckons that the 15×10 Varifold is a good match.

In the photo of your shiny new Volvo prop there is clearly no antifouling of any kind. Are you using it just highly-polished, with no antifouling?

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

Anonymous

@forum wrote:

Thank you, CaSam.

So yours is the Volvo, obviously. 16 x what?

I now have a quotation from Bruntons for a Varifold 2-blade and they are suggesting 2 blade Varifold 15” x 10”. £800 + VAT + shipping, which is probably a good price and, I suspect, less than the Volvo. There is a testimonial on their site from someone with a B32 who reckons that the 15×10 Varifold is a good match.

In the photo of your shiny new Volvo prop there is clearly no antifouling of any kind. Are you using it just highly-polished, with no antifouling?

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan – sorry for the delay…. I had missed your question.
            The Volvo came in cheaper than the Varifold and yes, I use it just highly polished with no fouling.
            Steve

Anonymous

Thanks, that is helpful.

I am teetering between the Varifold and Volvo. I have various Volvo quote and all suggest the 16×11, not the 15×10 which is what Bruntons suggest for the Varifold. The best Volvo quote is rather cheaper than the Varifold, and the prop looks lovely, and I value your recommendation, so I am likely to go for the Volvo 16×11. I am going to the London Boat Show next weekend and both Bruntons and Volvo will be there, so I will make the final decision then! Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Let us know which way you go!

Anonymous

A DECISION AT LAST

I went to the London Boat Show yesterday and ordered a 2-blade Brunton’s Varifold, 15×10 LH. This is what they specified. There was a decent boat show discount.

I was able to talk at length with the two helpful people on the Brunton’s stand. They were engineers rather than salesmen, so we had a good and helpful chat.

Flex-o-Fold were not there. Volvo Penta were there but they had almost nothing on their stand.

I will report back when I have some experience, but I don’t expect to lift the boat until Easter.

I had a look round a new Bavaria 34, which is about the same LOA as my 2003 Bavaria 32 and was very disappointed by the interior. My boat, ‘Bubble’, has quite decent woodwork but the new one feels very ‘flat-pack’ and shoddy. I noticed that all the show yachts had fixed propellers and they looked very much like the one on Bubble. On the new 34 I thought this was the standard VP fixed 2-blader but it was a Allpa – the Italian prop. It was a 16×11. I would put money on it being identical to the fixed VP prop. All to save money, I guess.

Anonymous

Hi Johnathan, you are right – the new 34 is exactly the same hull as my 32. No change on the base hull for the 32 / 33 or 34. Only changes have been topsides and down below.
                    What did you think of the twin wheel set up and the three cabins down below?
                    Steve

Anonymous

Can’t remember the cabins other than the fact that the finish felt shoddy. I single-hand a lot (or sail with crews who are unable to do much to help) so on Bubble the sugar-scoop is an absolute godsend for mooring. I take the helmsman’s seat out when approaching my berth in reverse then simply step ashore after stopping. Easiest boat I’ve ever had when it comes to marina berthing. I can see that the twin-wheel format helps a bit in terms of access to the cabin from the stern; on ‘Bubble’ the wheel is very big so one has to climb around it, which is a bore. However, the drop-down transom platform would be an complete non-starter for me because I could not then berth single-handed as I do at the moment. I guess this is the same on your B32 Cruiser.

Anonymous

Yes I go bows to, alongside although reversing in isnt a problem as I tend to lasso an aft spring from amidships and simply motor against it if I go in that way. Once done and settled, simply step off and sort the other dockines out.

Anonymous

Installed the 2-blade Brunton’s Varifold, 15×10 LH this week and motored back to Fleetwood from Glasson in 15 kts wind and a strong tide. I haven’t sailed with the new prop yet, but I am pretty sure that with the Varifold I get a bit more speed forwards. With the standard prop I would get about 6.4 kts at 3,000 rpm but with the Varifold it is more like 6.9. I had no problem at all in the lively conditions.

Back in the marina I am less certain of any improvement in terms of manoeuvrability. There are certainly no problems at all with the prop ‘biting’ when moving from fwd to reverse; the response is instant. I sense that it is a bit more of a struggle getting way on in reverse now, which I will have to bear in mind.

I will report any further news if there is any.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘Bavaria 32’ is closed to new topics and replies.