Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Otium
    Participant

We have Bavaria 36 (2004) with 2 temperture guages one for the exhaust and one for the engine . The exhaust meter alarm sounds at 39degrees requiring engine to be reduced to 2000 revs. The elbow was cleaned in 2019 . Any thoughts on potential causes and solutions

Thanks

Linda

Frankieboy
      Participant

Have you had a look at the heat exchanger and/or the impeller?

If there is insufficient water going through, then the exhaust may not be being cooled properly.

Anonymous

I agree with Frankieboy. Check also your strainer basket. Mine is normally pretty clean after a year but this year, after a circumnavigation of Britain, it was completely clogged when I checked a week ago. I think it is almost certainly poor flow of raw water; I had this for years with my boat and it persisted after completely stripping down the heat exchanger (very little crud after 18 years), replacing the exhaust elbow, replacing the strainer basket, replacing the impeller and seawater pump cover. It turned out in the end to be a very worn cam in the seawater pump. Changed that in a few minutes and now the flow is much greater and it always starts without delay.

I don’t have an exhaust temp gauge so I don’t know where your sensor is but I suppose there is a very, very remote possibility of the exhaust water lock being blocked somehow. I’d look at the obvious things above first.

Otium
          Participant

Thank you for your replies ..

Linda

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.