• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Does anyone have any thoughts ref performance increase when changing furling mainsail to fully batt. mainsail ?
      Chris (Reflex)

Anonymous

Chris,
        I come from a dinghy racing background and would not consider a furling main due to
        a) less sail area, mainly in the roach but vertical battens can help
        b) lack of control of sail shape, again vertical battens do help
        c) lack of control of mast bend I suspect due to the furling gear in mast.
        d) risk of furling gear jamming up.

Performance wise our 36 which is fully battened is generally quicker than anything bigger (Bavaria wise) that has in mast furling so it has its pluses. Performance wise I would say a fully battened main can put 10 to 20 % on boat speed if set up right against a furling main.

There are however downsides to fully battened mains, principally
        a) more difficult to depower as they retain their shape
        b) on larger boats such as yours the weight and effort in hoisting the sails
        c) bit of a pain having to go head to wind to raise and drop the main.

If I were in the market for a new main though I would seriously look at a non fully battened main as that gets over the depowering problem and you can also wind the cunningham on more effectively to flatten the sail before having to put the first reef in.

Final thought if changing from furling to normal main what alterations will be needed to the mast?

Regards

Rick

Anonymous

Hi Chris – our 44 has a fully battened main and we are very happy with performance. It is not particularly difficult to hoist and drop and with all the reefing lines led back to the cockpit it is very easy to reef.

Anonymous

Hi Rick and Trumble Too.
            Many thanks for your replies . Lots to think about …….. !!but just need a bit more speed.
            Chris

Anonymous

@Sundance wrote:

Performance wise our 36 which is fully battened is generally quicker than anything bigger (Bavaria wise) that has in mast furling so it has its pluses.

I couldn’t possibly comment…… 🙄

Anonymous

Paul,
                I won’t tell everyone that it’s down to the condition of your bottom. That’s far too personal!
                Cheers

Anonymous

I have a B40 with furling main. I changed it to a Maxi Roach furling main with vertical battens. It has improved performance and has performed well.

Another option for thought, maybe.

Regards, John
                  Loblolly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘Bavaria 44’ is closed to new topics and replies.