• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am looking for data or exprerience on the sailing ability and stability curves for the 47 Ocean. I have been advised that this is a slow boat, hence only 25 made. Or can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain this information. I am considering a purchase, but put off by lack of info. Tony

Anonymous

@Diatonic wrote:

I am looking for data or exprerience on the sailing ability and stability curves for the 47 Ocean. I have been advised that this is a slow boat, hence only 25 made. Or can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain this information. I am considering a purchase, but put off by lack of info. Tony

Hi Tony
        I don’t agree with your info. The reason only a few 47 oceans have been built has nothing to do with the performance of the boat. The reason the complete Ocean range was discontinued was that sales for centre cockpit boats were poor and as there were only a few orders for centre cockpit versions Bavaria decided to stop their production. It was simply not viable for Bavaria to built only a few boats of these types annually.

The hull of the 47 Ocean was the same as hull of the 47 aft cockpit and the only difference in the rig was that the boom was a few centimetres higher above deck due to the higher coach roof. I have sailed on 2 Bav 47 aft cockpits and can tell you that these boats sail very well and are fast hulls especially since the boats I sailed on had the optional deep lead keel. The slightly smaller mainsail on the ocean cannot make the Ocean 47 much slower!

The only problem sailing an ocean was common to all centre cockpit boats not just Bavarias in that visibility is poor when you have an overlapping headsail and you are sitting at the helm in the centre of the boat.

If you are interested in purchasing a 47 Aft cockpit please get in touch with me. I know of a good example 3 cabin version which is for sale and which is still in an extremely good condition EU Vat paid, lead keel, furling mast, bow thruster , ss cleats all new electronics including colour Radar/ GPS plotter etc.etc. for about GBP 109,500.

Anthony

Anonymous

Anthony, thanks very much for all that information. One comment by a saleman at Yates Alemaine that it was slow had me really worried. You have backed up the view of Clipper Marine who had good experience of an aft cockpit. I was not aware that the hulls were same. !

I am governed to some extent by the boss (my wife) who likes the master cabin of the centre cockpit. I have a ’99’ 38 Ocean from new at present which I am delighted with. I found the internal appearance of the one 47 Ive seen a lot less pleasing due to cutbacks in quality of heads and showers etc. I have had no comments form owners yet but am still keen on buying one.

I have not seen any detailed specs on the 47 Ocean but have only found standard keel (2.1m draft) and a short keel (Bulb 1.7m draft) versions. The short keel version has a very good extra’s spec but I dont want to compromise upwind. The problem is that it is very difficult to judge without a few days sailing in each. Do you have any thoughts on these 2 keel types.

My boat is in Turkey at the moment but am thinking of bringing it back to sell in the UK after buying the 47. If I dont have any joy with the Ocean I will be considering the aft cockpit version because it seems good value.

Regards

Tony

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.