• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

What is the general view on the added value/attraction on resale of a yacht professionally fitted with a bow thruster (Bav 30)?

I believe the cost of a thruster is around £3500 fitted. Although I wouldn’t necessarily fit one expecting to recoup the expense on selling, but does it make the yacht more attractive against others when selling?

Please don’t offer advice on additional training!

Anonymous

On a 30 foot yacht I would not expect it to add any value or make it any more attractive at resale as most boats that size do not need them.
        In my opinion, but that is with many years of sailing I would only consider a bow thruster as a luxury, but not a necessity once I got up to 40 foot LOA.
        Also on a 30 footer the drag created by the bow thruster, albeit minimal will slow the boat down even more so may actually deter purchasers at resale.
        For £3.5K there are a lot better things I’d spend my money on.
        All IMHO of course.
        Cheers
        Rick

Anonymous

Thanks Sundance. As usual you make good sense. Incidentally, what would you consider ‘better use of £3500’

I am also interested in adding a rope cutter to my sail-drive, any comments?

Anonymous

Ropecutter is definately a good idea and personally I would go for a folding or feathering prop as well to enhance the sailing performance. If you don’t already have one you will notice the difference when one is fitted.
            That leaves you over 2 grand to go and charter a yacht in the Med and get some decent weather!
            Cheers

Anonymous

@Sundance wrote:

Ropecutter is definately a good idea and personally I would go for a folding or feathering prop as well to enhance the sailing performance. If you don’t already have one you will notice the difference when one is fitted.
              That leaves you over 2 grand to go and charter a yacht in the Med and get some decent weather!
              Cheers

Funny you should say that as we have been tormenting ourselves with trying a bare boat charter from Gocek.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.