• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Participant

Hi,
      I have just purchased a cruising chute for my Bav41 and tried it out last weekend. Just a few teething problems, which I suspect that anyone else who has tried it, has had to overcome. Firstly the tack of the sail is not far enough forward and catches on the pulpit seat. I expect that the only solution is a short bowsprit to take it outboard. Secondly I rigged the blocks for the sheets on the aft jackstay fixings which are about central on the side deck. The sheets were pulling on the guardwire so the fixings need to go further out. Two possibilities – fix extra padeyes closer to the toe rail or drill through the toerail for the fixing. Not sure if the toe rail would be man enough for it but has anyone else had similar problems?

Mike
      Kamara

Webmaster
      Participant

I would not go through the toerail…. you could end up splitting the hull / deck joint.
        Best advice is to fit pad eyes.

As for the pulpit, I think that the bowsprit is the best answer although if you are far enough off of the wind you may get away with letting the tack fly a little looser and thus let it pull further forward.

Regards
        Steve

Webmaster
        Participant

Mike,
          I have a Bavaria 42 and sailed from UK to Cyprus last year. We clocked up over 10000 miles lots of which were using the cruising chute. You don’t need a bow sprit it’s an unnecessary expense. Attach a longer rope to the tack and it will fly much higher(assuming you have the space for the luff top to bottom).
          We use the anchor attachment as suggested by Bavaria. It’s worked for us without problems.
          Hope this helps.
          Alex
          Peregrine

Webmaster
          Participant

Hi Mike,

We’ve a B39 and had similar problems to you. I had a short bowsprit made by Dave Goodwin (google Stainless Steel Fabrications),near Fareham.
            It fits on the ‘spare’ bow roller. It’s fixed to the bow roller with long drop nose pins, so we had to drill the bow roller. We were in France at the time & did it ourselves, which wasn’t easy. Next time i’d get a fabricator to do it.
            The bow sprit has made a huge difference to both the ease of deployment & set of our chute.
            Let me know if you want photo’s of the bow sprit.

John

Webmaster
            Participant

@Lazy Pelican wrote:

Hi Mike,

Let me know if you want photo’s of the bow sprit.

John

Yes please!

Webmaster
              Participant

John,
                Some pictures of the bowsprit who you installed would be good. Do you have any contacvt details from the fabricator?

Regards

Mike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.