• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello Everyone,

We have a cruising shute, but apparently no sheets (well we have not found any yet).
      Would appreciate advice on length and diameter of sheets, (we have blocks right at the aft end of the side deck, and spinny winches close by).

Thank you,

Michael – “Time Off”

Anonymous

Michael.
        Rule of thumb is twice the length of the boat for sheets which may seem overlong but lets you fly the shute off if you get caught out in a blow.
        8 or 10mm diameter for light winds, say under 10 knots, 12mm for a bit more breeze.
        Cheers
        Rick
        “Sundance”

Anonymous

Hi Michael,

The answer depends partly on wether or not you intend to gybe your chute. On lazy Pelican (B39) we have a single 10mm sheet, about 1.5x boat length, which works well- we snuff the chute if we need to gybe. We found that the longer length served no usefull purpose and just got in the way.

Incidentally we fitted a short ‘bow sprit’ from which to fly the chute, which makes a huge difference to the way it sets and allows me to leave the tack line permanently rigged.

John

Anonymous

@LazyPelican wrote:

Hi Michael,

we snuff the chute if we need to gybe. We found that the longer length served no usefull purpose and just got in the way.

Incidentally we fitted a short ‘bow sprit’ from which to fly the chute, which makes a huge difference to the way it sets and allows me to leave the tack line permanently rigged.

John

Just looking at rigging a cruising chute for CaSam….
            Has anyone any pics of how they have installed a tack line – either fixed or adjustable?
            My experience shows that fitting an adjustable makes it easier to tack with having to snub… (my preference) thoughts?

Whilst on the topic.. anyone got a good source / supplier for said cruising chute and snuffer?
            My initial investigations have come back varying from £600 to £2400!!

Anonymous

We’ve got an ATN snuffer for the gennaker on our B31 Cruiser and it works like a charm. Would highly recommend it. Here is a link:

http://www.atninc.com/sleeve_en.php

-Riyad
              (s/v Battuta: Vancouver, Canada)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.