• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone has ever added an additional drain hole to the front of the anchor locker. The problem we have on our Bavaria 42(05) is that the drains that are existing are about 3 inches above the sole of the locker and naturally 3 inches of water accumulates there or as winter approaches ice. Has anyone ever addressed this problem before or do you see any negatives to doing it? We sail in freshwater right now but will be heading south to the Bahamas next fall, so trying to resolve the chain sitting in salt is important.

Cheers

Anonymous

Hi,

I have 42 Crs 05 also. Yes I did. we openned jus one hole on the port side at the bottom. Since May 06 I have no problem and no water at the anchor locker.

Turgut Ayker

Anonymous

Hi Turgut

Congratulations on your choice of boats 😉
          Thanks for the response, glad to know it worked out well. We were in Turkey back in 1991. Beautiful country and friendly people, maybe sometime in the near future we can bring our boat across the pond.

Cheers

Anonymous

I have the same problem in a B30. As far as I’m concerned this is a design/construction fault which I expect the importer (OPAL) to fix under the warranty. The bottom half of the chain is immersed in salt water which will rapidly cause failure in the galvanising. The freezing problem is additional if you are in that climate. The cored laminate requires sealing, which is why it is not simply a matter of drilling a hole oneself.

Anonymous

I have the same problem in a B30. As far as I’m concerned this is a design/construction fault which I expect the importer (OPAL) to fix under the warranty. The bottom half of the chain is immersed in salt water which will rapidly cause failure in the galvanising. The freezing problem is additional if you are in that climate. The cored laminate requires sealing, which is why it is not simply a matter of drilling a hole oneself.

Miles

Do you know if this is a design problem with all the models and are you sure there is core in that area?

Anonymous

Same problem on a B34.
                I lined the bottom of the locker with hardwood to lift the clain clear of the water. It has worked OK for 4 years now.
                It is a design fault though, has anyone told Bavaria?

Anonymous

Hi,

The 36 is the same, I cut some polystyrene sheet to fit the bottom of the well and that has worked fine.

Keith and Carole, Wave Dancer

Anonymous

I’v found the best solution is to get a can of foam and spray into the void. It also gives a nice “soft landing” for the chain.

Anonymous

Raised this as a warranty item on my new 33 and Opal are about to add another drain hole at the bottom.

I know that means 3 holes but at least that is “their” solution so any comback will be laid at their door.

They plan to drill and gel/flowcoat it properly. I’ll feed back once it is done.

Wayne

Anonymous

had the same problem on bav 34 cheap solution we bought 3 rubber entrance doormats ones with the holes in didnt get rid of the water but kept the chain clear

Anonymous

Opal have just fixed this on my 33 under warranty.

They added a 3rd hole (Port side). flow coated the hole nicely and fitted the same type of cover as the existing two.

I don’t know how well it works as I have not used the boat since they did it.

work done by opal = no finger pointing if there are problems in the future.

Cheers

Wayne

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.