• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am thinking of adding 50mt of anchor chain to the 45mt supplied with my B 40.

Are there any thoughts as to whether the extra weight in the bow would affect performance of the boat? I am not sure of the weight of 50 mts but I can not lift it all at once.

Regards
      John
      Loblolly

Anonymous

Hi John

Don’t know what size chain you are using so can’t be specific about the weight. If it’s 10mm then the weight is around 2kg/mtr i.e. around 100 kgs for the extra 50m.

I don’t think the speed of the boat will be affected noticeably (it’s no worse in displacement terms than an extra (large!) crew member). However, I would be worried about the extra weight right up front. The effect will be to make the boat pitch more than before, which can get tedious in a seaway.

Two options I can think of are

1. Use rope instead of chain for the extra – this would save more than 50% of the additional weight and have very little impact on the holding power after the 45m are paid out.

2. Empty the bow water tank (or reduce it’s content by 100 litres).

BTW – why do you need the extra chain?

Roger

Anonymous

Hi Roger

The chain is 8mm and I prefered the idea of chain for the weight. I also liked the idea of it all being continous (the link would be welded and not shackled) instead of adding the extra chain on the occasions I would use it. I have often read comments from live-aboards that they would not use less than 100 mts.

We often anchor overnight in various places fishing, and sometimes it would be advantagous to anchor in deeper areas. We have also been caught out by weather changes overnight so we are looking for a bit more peace of mind.

Reducing the amount of water would be a good option for a longer passage.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards

John

Anonymous

We carry 80M of 8mm chain on Hunros (Bav42) often with a full bow tank and haven’t had any problems with performance. The previous owners were liveaboards firstly cruising the UK and then the Med over the space of 4 years. My impression from the standard of the rest of the equipment would be that if they had felt more chain was required for safety or comfort then I am sure it would have been fitted, of course they may have carried and used an Angel which I am unaware of.

I had to smile as fully kitted up in oilies lifejacket and boots I weigh close to 100Kgs, according to Rogers description that makes me large! I haven’t shared that comment with Kerry or she would put me on water and dry biscuits for a month.

Paul.

Anonymous

John

Just came across this thread in the PBO Forum and thought you might find it of interest

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226185

Roger

Anonymous

I found the link very interesting and it has helped me decide my first course of action.

As I already have 50mts of nylon rope with a spliced eye I will experiment with that. All I need is a top quality shackle. If I still feel the need for extra chain I may add 20 – 25 mtrs. I had already decided that I would join the chain with a welded link.

Regards, John
                Loblolly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.