• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Participant

I have had to replace both cabin top ventilators on my 2009 Bav31 as the plastic from which they were made completely disintegrated, presumably from the ultraviolet light from the sun in southern Spain. This is most disappointing after only two years in service and I wonder if other owners have had the same problem. The attached photo illustrate the issue.

The upside was that I could fit proper stainless ventilators and the existing main hole in the cabin top was near enough the right size to allow fitting of the new units. I did, of course have to fill all the existing screw holes with white plastic padding but they are all hidden beneath the new units.

Webmaster
      Participant

Hi Ron, that is a shame… “value engineering”?
        The stainless iten sounds interesting though… do you have a pic?

I have also seen solar vents that have an extract facility – what are your thoughts on those?

Webmaster
        Participant

Mine went on my Bav 30, started to disintegrate and looked unsightly (after only 4 years of UK sun!) Got a Plastimo stainless steel replacement from Force 4. Even the screw holes were in the correct place!!! Now how often does that happen?!
          Looks much bettter than the original, even when it was new.
          Cheers
          Dek

Webmaster
          Participant

Both mine have discoloured and then broke on our (2009) Cruiser 31. Same happened with a similar vintage B34 out here. I couldn’t figure out how these universally break in a “shattered” manner until I realized it was from jib sheet flogging and that ours had happened during some reefing drama. Anyway, I upgraded to stainless steel covers bought from Beckson Marine (C6-rs). They’re great and you can put them on without doing any modification to the vent structure that goes into the cabin. Here is a pic:

http://www.beckson.com/images/c-6rsat600.jpg

Riyad Abu-Laban
            s/v Battuta
            B31: Vancouver Canada

Webmaster
            Participant

@CaSam wrote:

Hi Ron, that is a shame… “value engineering”?
              The stainless iten sounds interesting though… do you have a pic?

I have also seen solar vents that have an extract facility – what are your thoughts on those?

Attached is a pic of my new ventilators

My experience with solar powered ventilators is that they fail after a couple of seasons

[attachment=0:16o1ahbc]IMG_1529.JPG[/attachment:16o1ahbc]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.