• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have recently had an aft port fairlead broken off during high winds. Luckily I still have the fitting but all three screws have sheared just below deck level. Are there any hints as to how I can remove the three broken screws? If I drill them out will I be able to simply use bigger screws in the holes which I assume will end up a little oversized?

Regards

John

Loblolly (B40)

Anonymous

It is possible to purchase screw extractors. Basically you drill into the centre of the broken off screw and the screw the extractor into the hole and it unscrews the screw. The extractor looks like a tap but with an opposite thread.

Anonymous

Thanks Paul

I’ve googled the screw extractors.

The devices seem to have mixed reviews but I am going to give it a go.

I have got to remove all 3 so I bet one of them gives me a hard time!

Regards

John

Anonymous

I eventually removed the broken screws by hollowing out the gelcoat around them with a Dremel until I could grip them with a mole grip. Then I could screw them out. I ended up with 3 large, sort of countersunk holes which I now can fill and screw back the fair lead.

John
            Loblolly

Anonymous

@Loblolly wrote:

I eventually removed the broken screws by hollowing out the gelcoat around them with a Dremel until I could grip them with a mole grip. Then I could screw them out. I ended up with 3 large, sort of countersunk holes which I now can fill and screw back the fair lead.

John
              Loblolly

Will that not reduce / weaken the area now for the replaced fairlead?

Anonymous

Possibly, but I could not see another way of removing the broken screws. I was surprised to see the fair lead was only held by screws in the first place. I’ll just have to keep my eye on it and see how it holds up.

Regards

John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.