• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have a Bavaria 30 and want to mount a liferaft in a cradle. I am told that the best place is on the coachroof just aft of the mast. However I understand that this is not an easy task
      Anyone help with the best place for a cannister life raft?
      Cheers

Anonymous

Hi,
        We also have Bavaria 30.

We have put our canister liferaft on the port pushpit rail (we moor starboard side to). We did consider putting it on the coach roof, but we already had a frame from our last boat and I like the fact that it is accessable whatever the weather without having to leave the cockpit.

It has meant that the cockpit shower is hard to reach, but we rarely use it except for filling buckets with warm water for washing the boat. We still manage to fit our inflated tender on the stern when cruising and continue to use the swim platform as a ‘tender jetty’ when in port so it hasn’t really impacted us with it being there.

I see from your profile that you are moored in Southampton, Hunros is moored just around the corner on the Hamble and if it helps I am more than happy to meet so you can see the liferaft in-situ.

Anonymous

Life raft now mounted on pushpit starboard side with cradle in vertical position so it misses backstay tensioner. Seems to be OK, suppose only time will tell!

Anonymous

This weekend I finally got around to fitting a trial bracket to move the liferaft away from the backstay. It seems to work OK and has now moved from my “nice idea” list to my “just needs finishing” list. For those interested I attach a photo.

Regards
            Paul.

[attachment=0:2b2mgiqs]P5240176.JPG[/attachment:2b2mgiqs]

Anonymous

Paul

I managed to fix my life raft in a similar position but vertically making it unnecessary for the extra bar which it appears you have fixed, although yours does look good.
              Did you get my email with a picture?

Derek

Anonymous

Hi Derek,

It was your email and photo that inspired me to look at our existing liferaft location but I forgot to print off the picture to use as reference before going to the boat. Having tried fitting it in just about every combination, I ended up with this solution which seems to work.

If you see us out in the solent towing a liferaft along behind us you will know that it hasn’t been successful….

Paul.

Anonymous

Hi
                  I originally intended fitting a six person life raft to the port side stern push pit rail of my Bavaria 30. But once in place the weight of the raft canister (+40 kgs) in my opinion was to much and caused the rail to lean backwards. This persuaded me to fit the raft on the coach roof, on the on the companion way hatch garage. This was very easy to fit by removing the screws from the garage cover & bolting down the frame. This has worked well and the raft would be ease to launch by pushing forward and over the side through the guard rail.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Alan.

Anonymous

Hi,
                    I have recently fitted my 6 man Ocean safety liferaft to the rear Port side pushpit on our Bavaria 33 and the 43 odd kgs does not appear to be presenting any problems. That is apart from the fact of initialy heaving it into place.
                    Chris and Ann Hymers (Osprey)

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

Photo attached to show position (looks better in real life than on the picture!)

Cheers

Derek

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.