• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Participant

I have an issue with rain water entering the engine compartment via the companionway vents. Anybody have similar problem and if so and suggestions to eliminate it?

Webmaster
      Participant

Hi,

I have not heard of this problem so the best advice I can offer is to contact Clipper Marine who hopefully will be able to advise you further.

Details for Clipper:

2 Firefly Road,
        Hamble Point Marina,
        Hamble,
        Hampshire, SO31 4NB
        Tel: +44 (0)23 8060 5060
        Fax: +44 (0)23 8060 5068

E-mail: sales@clippermarine.co.uk
        Web: http://www.clippermarine.co.uk

hope this helps
        Paul.

Webmaster
        Participant

The previous owner of my previous Bavaria (2000 B31) had “teak drain channel strips” made and fitted at an angle above the vents. This meant that rain or spray water flowing back along the channels beside the sliding hatch cover ran onto these teak strips and then into the cockpit instead of down onto the air vents.

Although the vent slats are angled down, strong wind can blow any water which is on the vents through the slats.

I have photos but haven’t been able to include photos on the forum when I’ve tried before. If you send me a pm with your email address I’ll send them to you direct by email.

Alastair
          Dream Catcher

Webmaster
          Participant

@Dream Catcher wrote:

The previous owner of my previous Bavaria (2000 B31) had “teak drain channel strips” made and fitted at an angle above the vents. This meant that rain or spray water flowing back along the channels beside the sliding hatch cover ran onto these teak strips and then into the cockpit instead of down onto the air vents.

Although the vent slats are angled down, strong wind can blow any water which is on the vents through the slats.

I have photos but haven’t been able to include photos on the forum when I’ve tried before. If you send me a pm with your email address I’ll send them to you direct by email.

Alastair
            Dream Catcher

Thanks PM sent

Webmaster
            Participant

Fro future enquiries – Attached are photos proposed and adopted to resolve problem

Webmaster
              Participant

Hi seafever2

My Bavaria 34 (2000) had this problem every time it rained with strong winds and I think the venturi effect of the vents sucked the water into the stainless vents as appears to be your problem.

I tried all kinds of ideas and in the end went the whole hog and put stainless plates under the vents totally blocking the vent.

I have had no problem with heat in the cabin or engine bay. I took the yacht to the Whitsundays last year and did a lot of motoring without any ill effects.

The teak looks like a good idea but I don’t like drilling too many extra holes in the yacht

Greg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.