• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

My Bavaria Holiday 35 has just been taken out of the water for a couple of months to prepare for returning to the med in the spring, and i have a significant amount of movement at the top of the rudder. I have managed to remove the round threaded locking nut, and have released the steering quadrant, and the jubilee clip which secures the rubber gaitor which i believe prevents water rising up the rudder stock, but still the rudder refuses to drop out, can anybody advise what else i need to do, and also where to buy new bearings for the rudder

Anonymous

I got my new rudder bearings via OPAL, so I guess it’d be Clipper marine now, unless they can be manufactured locally. Lead times via OPAL were 6-8 weeks. As for dropping the rudder. This is what I did.

1) Blocked off the rudder so it wouldn’t fall
        2) Released the locking nut
        3) Removed the plate which secures the top rudder bearing
        4) Released the steering brackets
        5) Removed the jubliee clips

I then removed the blocks holding the rudder, moved the rudder to one side and it just popped out. I may have been lucky (which would make a change) as it was fairly straight forward. Hope this helps

Regards

Jim

Anonymous

Thanks for the information, removed all the items you mentioned, then after hitting the top of the rudder shaft with a hammer it eventually began to move, and eventually it dropped out, but how do i remove the bearing from the hull?

Anonymous

On my boat I swivalled the bearing so that the curved section was facing outside of the bearing housing. I then just just pulled the bearing out. The same applied to the top bearing.

Good luck

Regards

Jim

Anonymous

Hi Jim, the bearing on my boat is similar to a ball with a hole in it to allow the rudder shaft to fit, this in turn is housed in a casing that the bearing fits into, and the bearing is bigger than the hole in the outer bearing casing so will not come out without the use of force, but as neither will be used again and so long as i do not damage the hull i suppose should be ok

Anonymous

Will the bearing not turn in the casing at all? It’s hard to describe without being able to draw it. Ive sent you a pm with my mobile number. Feel free to call me as I’d hate for you to damage the hull.

Happy New Year

Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.