• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

On my 1996 Bavaria Holiday 35 I am finding that the saildrive does not allways engage in forward drive as quick as it does in reverse, yet there does not appear to be any slack in the connecting rod and the plate that the rod is attached to at the gearbox moves when the gear shift is moved. Any ideas as to the cause 😕

Ed Holmes Storm Dragon

Anonymous

@Storm Dragon wrote:

On my 1996 Bavaria Holiday 35 I am finding that the saildrive does not allways engage in forward drive as quick as it does in reverse, yet there does not appear to be any slack in the connecting rod and the plate that the rod is attached to at the gearbox moves when the gear shift is moved. Any ideas as to the cause 😕

Ed Holmes Storm Dragon

Hi Ed

Have you checked the oil level (and oil type/grade if possible) in the gearbox? Also the linkage to ensure the lever is fully engaging reverse. If that is all OK then it is either a gearbox oil pump or a slipping band type of problem.

Which model of gearbox is it? You can probably find some technical details (exploded diagrams etc.) on the web which may help understand the internals (and the possible failure modes).

Good luck

Rog

Anonymous

Hi Rog

The oil level is up to maximum, the saildrive is a 120S. is a bit difficult on my own to see exactly what happens when the gear lever is moved, but it appears to move the same amount when engaging reverse

Ed

Anonymous

Hi Rog,

It seams possible according to Volvo at Motortech that its a problem with the forward drive gear, ie has worn out, but the forward and reverse gear are bought as an item along with the new connecting shaft for the sum of £1500 plus VAT, then fitting on top. But fortunately have located a company in Batley, West Yorkshire who will provide me with a reconditioned sailrive and take mine in exchange for £1500, and this is the direction i am seriously thinking about taking as who knows what else might be wearing out in my present sail drive.

Ed Holmes

Anonymous

Ed,

if it is wear in your gear selection then a new set of clutch discs are less than £300.00, with the seals and bearings I would be surprised if the bill was any more than £600.00 in parts.

If they are right and its worn the gear as well then the £1500 might be about right however I would be surprised if that was the case, indeed if it was normal for the gears to wear I would expect the service exchange price to be double the parts costs, i.e. £3000.00.

I would give the guys at RK Marine at Swanwick a ring and ask them what they think, at least then you will have an alternative price.

Hope you get it sorted painlessly,
              Paul.

Anonymous

Hi we have just had the same problem with our 44 and the volvo dealer in palma rebuilt the gear shaft with new bearings etc for € 750 so in the uk i would guess you could probably get it done even cheaper …… the labour bill was € 1400 but that included other items as well probably about € 1000 was the gearbox work

Anonymous

Hi Guys, many thanks for all your input, but have gone down the route of the exchange unit, and it is all fitted now and should be back in the water middle of next week, and only then will i know if it has been a worthwhile route to take

Ed Holmes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.