• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello everyone, first post so quick introductions: we are David and Fiona Scott and have just taken ownership of a 2004 Bavaria 44, Trumble Too which we sailed up from Port Solent last month.

Berthed in Troon Yacht Haven our main cruising area will be Firth of Clyde with occasional forays around the Mull and North.

Would be delighted to meet up with any BOA members based in, or visiting the area.

Anonymous

Hi,

My Bavaria 37 is based in Clyde Marina at Ardrossan. We usually cruise up the Clyde to Kip, Rothesay, Largs etc. Sadly not going out this weekend due to the weather, but hope to see you around in the future.

Simon

Anonymous

Weather this weekend was interesting to say the least – we went from touching 40 Kns early Saturday morning when we were (thankfully) still tied up at Troon to the A-sail hanging like an old hanky with no wind at all heading back on Sunday afternoon.

We have started to trust the WRF forecast on WINDGURU although it does seem to offer the worst case scenario.

As it turned out we left Troon early Sunday aiming to meet up with friends for a lunchtime beach barbeque at Rothesay. 5 hours later we were glad to have made it as far as Millport, wind was on the nose all the way and we couldn’t get closer than 60 degs to the course we wanted.

For anyone who hasn’t sailed the Clyde before, here is the scenic reward which keeps us all up here:

The Isle of Arran as seen from the visitors’ moorings in Millport Bay:

The last sea-going paddle steamer in the World, the Waverley, passing us in the Kyles of Bute:

Anonymous

Hi David and Fiona,

We have a Bavaria 31 (2000) based at Rhu (Royal Northern). We’re hardy souls, being out most weekends from beginning April to end October. We mainly sail on the Clyde, with forays further North for our summer hols (Rhu, Rothesay, Ardrishaig, Crinan, Oban, Tobermory, Coll, Ardtoe, Lochaline, Ballachulish, Oban, Crinan, Ardrishaig, Caladh, Rhu this year).

I’m sure you will find this BOA forum as useful and interesting as I have. It has been a great help, as we just got back into sailing two years ago, after a 20 year absence!

We’ll no doubt see you on the water somewhere, sometime.

Regards,

Alastair & Dorothy

Anonymous

It was really good to hear from friends north of the border. I think those of us down south tend to think that the only place to be is the Solent, or somewhere on the south coast (I’m deliberately omitting such exotica as The Whitsundays, BVIs, Thailand and the like). The stunning and atmospheric views of Arran, Bute and Ardrossan illustrate very effectively just what we’re missing; so quiet and peaceful compared to the M25-like melee of the Hamble and other such places, and with such beautiful scenery just on the doorstep. The view of Arran is for me particularly special but for a slightly different reason: when I was training to be an Air Traffic Controller I spent two years at Prestwick Airport. On a clear day the view from the control tower looking across to Arran was very similar to the photograph that David and Fiona have provided.

I’ve always wanted to sail in Scottish waters but unfortunately it’ll have to wait until next year. Anyone interested in a BOA charter???

Envious of Chichester (aka Ian Culley!!)

Anonymous

I nearly went out last weekend after all, but ended up sitting in the cockpit with a bottle of wine for company. However this weekend we are heading up towards Kip and Rothesay and maybe a bit further.

Who knows we might even get some sunshine 🙄

Simon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.