• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I would like to fit a second forestay to my 33, in order to take an emergency storm jib if the roller reefing packs up. Has anyone done this? Or does anyone know if there is a reinforced plate already built in under the foredeck? There is a ”smooth” half circle of GRP immediately behind the anchor locker that looks if it might be designed for a mounting plate.
      Peter – ‘Destiny’

Anonymous

Peter,
        The smooth half circle you refer to is there normally to take the turning block for the spinnaker pole downhaul. It consists of a section of deck that has a 6mm or 8m aluminium plate glassed into it.
        It can then be drilled and tapped to take the eye bolt or D ring etc.
        I use it for my spinny downhaul on a Bav 36 which has a 2:1 purchase but I am not sure if I would trust it for an inner forestay.
        I would be more comfortable trying to get a fixing on the stem head if I could as the decks on most bavarias feels a little flimsy around the anchor locker.
        Hopefully someone else will be along shortly with how do do it as it is also something I have considered installing.
        Cheers
        Richard

Anonymous

Richard

Many thanks, I did wonder! I have had a quote from a rigging firm for the rest of the kit fitted, just need to sort out the deck fixing. If I go for the obvious point on the stemhead then it will have to be made detatchable or will snag the rolling genoa. If we go back to behind the anchor well, then it might just be able to be left in situ. There are plenty of Sadlers and Westerly’s where we berth at Plymouth that keep theirs on all the time in a similar position.
          Did think of fabricating a stainless strapfixing that would go through the deck and bolt vertically down the forward bulkhead, but seems over complicated.
          Will approach Clipper and the Factory, but in the past have found the factory does not like dealing directly with individuals!
          If I get any where I will let you know!

Regards Peter

Anonymous

Hi I have a inner forestay on a B34 and on the half circle there is a securing ring for the hi-lift for the storm jib.

Rgds
            Mike
            Artemis

Anonymous

Hi there Peter,

I’m working on fitting a 2nd forestay to my 33 – was wondering how you fitted yours in the end?

I’m looking at fitting a double d-ring on the smooth patch (behind anchor locker) and then either fitting a bracket to the bulkhead (complicated) or using rigging wire & a bottle screw fitted from d-ring to the bulkhead to provide tension (easier)

Any advice from anyone who has already done it would be much appreciated!

Regards,

John – Alekat

Anonymous

Hi John

Haven’t actually done it yet, as have come up against much conflicting advice.

Bavaria themselves have not responded to my e mails.

Had a very helpful conversation with Mike Wood who sails a 34 in Scotland that had a second forestay already fitted when he bought her. His boat has a SS plate under the deck where the raised smooth area is, but no apparent reinforcement on to the bulkhead, and has weathered 50 knot winds across the atlantic! Mike also sent info from selden for the mast attatchment and photo’s.

Spoke to Cliper who wouldn’t countenence anything other than a major bracket bolted to the bulhead.

I started to design a bracket, but have temporarily put things on hold whilst adding further ”comfort” items to please the crew! Have fitted a large shelf above the galley to improve worksurface area, and Lewmar hatches that open under the sprayhood for the heads and aft cabin.

Hadn’t thought of the wire and bottle screw idea, guess its what will also look neater from inside the forecabin, the wire arrangement or a fabricated bracket? Either way you will need to get the headlining off to access underneath the deck.

Was in the process of asking Allspars in Plymouth, where we are berthed to quote for the whole installation, as they are Selden agents. Where are you based?

E mail me directly if you wish: peterjash@gmail.com

Kind regards
                Peter

Anonymous

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your post. I didn’t even think about contacting Bavaria – didn’t think they would reply.

You are right in that there seems to be a lot of different ways to do this – and the only real test is when its used in anger and the deck stays put… (!!)

For what its worth, I have decided to get on with fitting the deck reinforcement this week:

Its going to be a double folding pad-eye on deck with backing plate (8cm x 5cm ish) under the deck attached to 6mm wire & bottle/rigging screw to the bed just where it disappears under bulkhead (large 20x 40cm backing plate here)
                  Reasoning:
                  1) Can tension bottle screw so that lift from deck fitting is spread along 3 sides of bulkhead (top & sides) & front part of bed. Bulkhead slots into bed so attaching to bed is stronger (bed sides are glassed to hull) & spreads load across bulkhead
                  2) Making up a bracket to accurately match angles to bulkhead is beyond my skills.
                  3) I think bottle screw will look ok and if not, I can remove all fittings with nothing visible later on… (no holes in headlining on bulkhead – always a plus!!)

Forestay will be fitted by local Seldén agent.

Hope this makes sense – I’ll post pictures when I’m done.. (can I do that here?)

Would be very interested to hear about your approach: johnfk99@gmail.com

I’m based in the Med – near Barcelona – where the sun always shines (well usually) and the wind never blows – except when it blows lots .. 😯

Cheers,

John

Anonymous

Hi John

Would be greatful of a photo! Not sure if it can be posted, but if not please send to my e mail. Otherwise will be in Barcelona in mid July for a conference – maybe I could have a look if you around?

Regards
                    Peter

Anonymous

Hi Peter,

In the middle of chopping & drilling now – will send photos when I’m done.

Yesterday we lifted the spreader bases to reseal them as we have been getting leaks inside – definitely did not enjoy watching the mast wobble…
                      On saturday I have a friend who is going to help tune the rig back up using a tension gauge. More later…

By all means let me know if you are in BCN area

Regards,

John

Anonymous

Hi John

We had problems with those bases leaking as well, but was fixed by Opal under warranty during year 1. The only other problem we have had was rudder knock in a heavy sea. Took advice from Clipper and bought very expensive new bearings and rudder tube plus seals, as there was a 3/12 wait from Germany and didnt want her ashore for that length of time. Wish I had waited now as when she was lifted all it needed was reseating and tightening up!

Have had her now for 4.5 years (she was the second 33 into the UK) and whilst light displacement has seen us safely through a force 7 gusting 8, so reckon the only limiting factor in her sailing is the crew!

Looking forward to seeing the photo’s and hope to see your finished mods when we are in Barcelona during the summer
                        Regards
                        Peter

Anonymous

Hi Peter,

The 33 is a great boat for us here in the Med. We bought her in Dec 2006 – and I certainly trust in bad weather here.

Last local regatta we did here started off with 8-10kts – finished 30-35kts. All the other boats retired – except a B36 & a B33 (with kids below watching tv..!).

For us, its definitely the strength of the crew and our furling main. It doesn’t set so well in lighter winds but it means that we (mr & mrs) can reef very finely and keep going while other husband & wife crews start to struggle.

The whole family goes over to the Balearics for the summer and has a great time.

Will let you know when I am done and send photos

Regards,

John

Anonymous

Hi John,

I’d love to see photos of this job too – it’s something I’ve thought about for our boat. Below is my e-mail address if you can post photos on the site. Good luck with the upgrade and thanks in advance for sharing your experience with the rest of us…

abulaban@interchange.ubc.ca

Riyad
                            s.v Battuta
                            Bavaria 31, Vancouver, Canada

Anonymous

Hi John and Riyad!

Looking forward to the photo’s!

We are recomissioning tomorrow for the summer, with a forecast of gales and snow in Plymouth! Hope the season will improve!

BW
                              Peter

Anonymous

Hi Peter,

Nearly done – only stay left to do, below deck rigging to arrive. Hope to be done in a week or 2.

We’re getting ready for this: http://www.regataophiusa.com this weekend. Kick-off Thursday. Lots of wind today but prediction is for a light one which makes a change from previous years.

This year we’re on an SEB35 (somebody else’s boat – the best kind 😉 – Hanse 350

Good luck with the start of the season!

John

Anonymous

Hi guys,

Deck reinforcement is done! No idea how to post pdf on here (anyone?) so I’m emailing you some pics & parts list. Would be interested in your thoughts & comments!

Regards,

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.