• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Has anyone with a Bavaria 34 found that she lists to Starboard.

The only time it bothers me is when i am on land and can view the boat from a distance and compare her to boats adjacent or when i come to clean off at the waterline, which always has fouling above the antifoul line on the Starboard side. The difference in sailing ability on each tack is not that noticable and if you have to be faster on one tack than the other, Starboard is to be favoured.

Saloma is the owners version and so has the heads on Starboard, (Port on the three cabin version) and has an additional 140 AH battery fitted adjacent to the standard position on the Starboard side.

I have thought of moving both domestic batteries to the Portside but this is a reasonably large task to undertake and lengthens the cable runs. Not good!

I cannot make up my mind to leave well alone and enjoy scrubbing the waterline more often or to move the batteries.

Any ideas.

Anonymous

@saloma wrote:

Has anyone with a Bavaria 34 found that she lists to Starboard.

I cannot make up my mind to leave well alone and enjoy scrubbing the waterline more often or to move the batteries.

Any ideas.

It depends how much weight it will take to balance the boat. I assume there is nothing obvious (except the batteries) that can be moved from starboard to port?

Have you thought about an extra water tank on the port side, under the saloon bench seat, rather than move the batteries? This could be plumbed to fill from the other tank(s) so wouldn’t need an extra deck fitting. You would, though, need a breather of some sort, although this doesn’t necessarily have to vent outside, so long as it is well above the other tanks when well heeled.

It would also increase your water capacity and that might be useful. Flexible DIY installation tanks are reasonably priced, I understand (but haven’t checked).

Anonymous

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your suggestion but we ordered Saloma with two water tanks so we already carry 300 lts. I find all the space below the saloon berths is necessary storage, so it has to be put up with the list, or move the batteries. I think my next move will be to simply place the batteries in position on the porthand side and see what difference it makes. if the boat floats level i will probably be tempted to carry out the work, but if it is only a partial solution, i may change to white antifoul and take it up to the underside of the blue gelcoat line.

Compliments of the season

Anonymous

Hi,

We have a Bavaria 34 and yes ours lists to Starboard also! Don’t ask me why – I wish I knew! We have also observed that the bow is high with the anti fouling line above the water level by a couple of inches.

Ken
            Alcina

Anonymous

Hi Alan

A long time since we corresponded but Tanami is still going well after her eventful trip to the Whitsundays.

We also have the list to starboard but I moved all the safety gear and spares, spare anchor etc under the port bunks which helped a bit.
              As I use the boat for club racing and not much cruising at the moment she only has her forward water tank a quarter full and 30m litres of diesel so is lighter to rebalance.

When we were away all heavy food (tins) and heavy gear on the port side where possible. I was also trying to counteract a second domestic battery in the battery box to starboard. I also decided not to move a battery to the port side but I think eventually it may be the only solution.

Great to hear you are still enjoying the B34. We are finding she is quite competitive against even larger yachts as long as the wind is at least 10 knots as the shortish mast is a bit restrictive below that wind speed.

Greg

Anonymous

I have a Bavaria 32 and it lists to starboard.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.