• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi All,

I have a B32 – circa 2001 -It has two batteries – one very large and the other about the size of a large car battery. Recently I left the ignition of the engine on for 3 days and there is now no sign of life in engine control panel – the fuel gauge will not even register and there is no ignition light – but the cabin lights are fine. Does anyone know how to switch between the 2 batteries without physically disconnecting them? Someone has suggested switching the positive connections between the two batteries – is this a good idea? There is an on/off switch under the chart table but no switch that I can find to move between batteries.

I expect I am missing something – All ideas are most welcome

Anonymous

Hi Silver Fox

If yours is a ‘standard spec’ B32 there’s no way of switching between the batteries, the switch under the chart table is a master to control the supply from each battery to domestics and engine respectively, with no means of ‘crossfeeding’. I think it’s good practice to switch the master off when you’re not on the boat, that avoids the kind of misfortune that you’ve suffered. It might be worth trying to recharge the engine battery separately (i e disconnect it and use a separate high capacity charger) to see if it will take a charge, otherwise it’s a new battery, I’m afraid!

Ian Culley
        B32 ‘Another Fantasy’

Anonymous

Many thanks for your reply. I seem to be learning all about sailing by making mistakes!

David

Anonymous

David

No problem, that’s what the BOA is for!!!

regards

Ian

Anonymous

@SILVER FOX wrote:

Many thanks for your reply. I seem to be learning all about sailing by making mistakes!

David

Don’t worry, David, that’s how we’ve all done it – just try to make them small and non-terminal… 😳

Mark

Anonymous

Did you try jump leads from domestic battery?

Anonymous

I have a feeling that, on charter boats, there is a requirement to have a switch that will connect the 2 batteries together. This would allow the services battery to be used to start the engine – anyone know if this is correct?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.