• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

> >> wrote:
      >
      > >>>I have a Volvo2030in my Bavaria 34, and want to drain the fresh
      > >>>water/coolant to change it. However the engine block doesn’t have the
      > >>>drain
      > >>>cock on it which is shown in the manuals, instead it has a square ended
      > >>>blanking plug, which is almost inaccessible, and seems to be an18 mm
      > >>>raised
      > >>>square external end, for which tools do not seem to exist (it needs a
      > >>>fairly
      > >>>short box spanner to get at it). Does anyone know of a solution?
      >
      > >> Use pliers.
      >
      > >Insufficient grip, reach or leverage. The plug is very tight (immovable so
      > >far).
      >
      > I use my teeth, but it is not for everyone.
      >
      > Perhaps you missed my previous post..
      > http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/search?as_umsgid=ip7lq41crd62d349tql9hgrj­9kvrc3b…@4ax.com&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
      > 19mm. or 3/4″ should be ok for 18mm. square, provided you can avoid
      > tilting it.http://www.uktools.com/product_info.php?cPath=147_1381&products_id=89…- Hide quoted text –
      >
      > – Show quoted text –

At last I got around to doing this job, and your advice worked, so you are Man of the Month!
      I used an 19mm 8 point (1/2″ drive) socket (a 16 point would not do it, so be warned!), bought from your website reference (a very good firm for tooling). I had to use a torque wrench with an 18″ handle to shift it as it was so tight, but it came out OK in the end. It needed a 6″ extension bar to reach the plug head, and some courage to apply the force needed as it felt as if something was sure to break.
      I ordered a proper drain cock fitting from the local Volvo Penta agent (£9.89 – part no. VOP861 824), but when it came, it had a 13mm diameter base, but the hole in the block was 26mm. So they ordered an adapter for me (£6.32 part no VOP 3850290, which did the job. I can now drain the coolant without flooding the bilge with the damned stuff, using a thin rubber tube in the cock outlet, and no other tooling needed.
      Volvo are very naughty for supplying engines without the proper cock on as shown in the manual, as it makes changing the coolant difficult to the point where people don’t do it. Still, with enough patience, perseverence and money it can be altered as above. So take heart Volvo MD2030 -D owners, all is not lost. If you are ordering parts though, give the full engine details from the plate on the top of the engine, as different marks of the 2030 have subtel differences which can be important.

Anonymous

I had the same problem so if any one in the Maldon or Walton on Naze area wants to remove the plug I have the tools to do it.

Keith & Carole Wave Dancer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.