• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have a B32 year 2003 and the thermostat on the Waeco fridge evaporator has broken which means the unit is working constantly and ends up freezing everything inside. I think this unit is the VD15 unit, but has anyone tried changing this unit without changing the compressor? Is it easily to reconnect? Do I have to re-charge the compressor? Or is it just easier to buy a complete new kit? Can anyone help please?

Anonymous

If it just the thermostat that has failed then it should be straightforward to replace. Fridge thermostats are usually connected to the compressor by 2 (sometimes 3) wires. There should be no reason to disturb the evaporator or compressor and hence no need to recharge the refrigerant.

That said, I am only speaking from experience of domestic fridges – I have no knowledge of the workings of the Waeco. However, I would expect the principle to be the same.

The problem may be sourcing a replacement thermostat!

Anonymous

Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply, I have now spoken to Waeco and they advised that the thermostat for this unit is available from a supplier, the details, in case anyone else needs them, are: Leisure Spares 01423 320009
          thanks

Hayley

Anonymous

Despite changing the thermostat at the recommendation of DOMETIC at the boat show the unit refused to switch of untill I uncoiled the thermostat wire back to its original position through the plate. (Bav 32 )
            This unit seems to have a mind of its own sometimes on for hours sometimes off for over an hour despite that seems to keep contents ok.

Anonymous

I have just had to dismantle the thermostat on my fridge on my B32 and it was a straight forward affair. The unit is connected via 2 wires, one of which has a small resistor soldered to the end between the spade terminal and the wire so be careful when removing it. My own fridge was also freezing up and I overcame the problem by dowsing the unit in WD40 and leaving it for a couple of hours to soak in, the unit is a simple bi metalic operation which varies the temperature by varying the length of the control pin which is screwed in or out by the control knob. Once it had soaked I freed up the screw and operating arm and bellows by repeated operation. The unit was refitted and is operating at 100% with no problems.

Anonymous

@redhen wrote:

I have a B32 year 2003 and the thermostat on the Waeco fridge evaporator has broken which means the unit is working constantly and ends up freezing everything inside. I think this unit is the VD15 unit, but has anyone tried changing this unit without changing the compressor? Is it easily to reconnect? Do I have to re-charge the compressor? Or is it just easier to buy a complete new kit? Can anyone help please?

As has been pointed out, you don’t need to disconnect the evaporator to change the thermostat.

If you did (say because the evaporator or the compressor was faulty), then it would probably be easier to replace both with new units, otherwise you need a refrigeration engineer to do the work. I’ve just been round this loop, and got a great deal Waeco units from Mailspeed Marine. No connection, just a happy customer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.