• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

@CaSam wrote:

Sorry for the delay – only just noticed the add on question…

As for the shank, straight into the anchor locker no problems.
      The anchor does sit quite high on the bow roller though and as such any straight locking pins will not slip though.
      I guess either a not rigid fixing or a another hole will need to be drilled through the shank.

Another word of warning is that if you have or intend to fit a bowsprit / prodder the oversize anchor head may get in the way!

Steve

Thanks for the reply, Steve. As it happens I just went ahead and bought the 16kg Delta, and used it on an five week cruise in the Western Isles. Worked a treat, set first time every time, without any of the skipping across the bottom, ‘has it or hasn’t it’ moments I had got used to with the CQR. Held in some very strong winds too, so I am really pleased with it, and I now sleep better at night at anchor.

As you say, the locking pin now will not fit, and I will need to have it removed. I just tied the anchor to the pulpit with a fender rope and that seems to work OK, if less aesthetic.

Iain

Anonymous

I replaced my Bavaria CQR with an 18kg Delta. The result in Greece has been tremendous. In Sivota where we could have more than five attempts to get through the weed with the CQR, now it is first time every time!
        The anchor is a brute when reaching the bow roller and can ding the gelcoat or bounce off the roller, however I have found that “very gently does it” when the spinner reaches the roller and it comes in fine. The shank sits comfortably in the slide to the chain locker and the foredeck hatch closes OK.
        Very reassuring. I also check the spinner and shackles on a regular basis, they have been known to separate.

Anonymous

After a number episodes of not getting the Bavaria “CQR” to set and a couple instances of anchor dragging, I replaced the anchor with a combination of a new Rocna 20 and the Anchor Buddy CAB30. The Rocna fits the bow rollers with ample separation between the point of the anchor and the hull; however, the anchor shank does not stow within the anchor locker. It stores with the shank about 10cm above the anchor locker hatch and I have it lashed using the bow roller pin as end points for the lashing. I also use a nylon strap to secure the anchor roll bar to the upper bow roller structure. Although it is not as elegant as the storage solution of the original Bavaria anchor solution, the ease of setting the anchor first go and the peace of mind the anchor will likely hold in most routine conditions is worth the inelegance of the storage solution.

Anonymous

I know this is an old thread, but our 2006 Bav 30 has the 10kg delta which fits perfectly on the bow roller and seats neatly in the anchor locker. Today we tried a 16kg delta – although it fits on the roller without any problems, the shank is too thick by a smidge for the anchor locker, which can close over it but with a noticeably bulge. Concerned that this might cause problems with movement at sea and movement over the locker lid, I’ve returned the 16kg tot eh chandlers. We’ve not had a problem with the 10kg in our first season, and it is supposed to be suitable for up to 40 ft yachts (!), but I’d rather be over than under anchored.

Anonymous

Fair point, looks like the anchor locker on the 30 is just that little bit smaller then the 32.
              Oh well – “if it works….don’t fix it!”

Anonymous

Hi Steve – yes, just had a peep at Phoebe, a Bav 32 near us at Largs, and the raised section to the anchor locker is higher and further aft than on our B30. I’m now thinking about using an angel just to give a better catenary (or at least to add more metal on the seabed!

Chris and Jane

Anonymous

@Freebird wrote:

Hi Steve – yes, just had a peep at Phoebe, a Bav 32 near us at Largs, and the raised section to the anchor locker is higher and further aft than on our B30. I’m now thinking about using an angel just to give a better catenary (or at least to add more metal on the seabed!

Chris and Jane

Good idea… or pay out extra chain (provided that you have the swining room!) – It all helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.