• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Participant

Hi,
      Bavaria 30 (9.45m / 4200kgs)
      I am considering changing my CQR anchor for a 10kg Delta (recommended weight for boats up to 12m). The Delta is reported (December Yachting Monthly) as having better holding and re-setting performance. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts on the matter? Expected anchoring will predominately be in sand or mud, but some weed is inevitable. I also carry a kedge.
      Thanks.

Webmaster
      Participant

Hi
        A bit more information would be useful as to why you are thinking of changing. Do you have problems getting the CQR to set and hold.
        I have a CQR on my 36 and regularly anchor in sand and used to have a problem if too much chain goes over the side before the boat starts going astern as this tends to stop the anchor digging in. Not sure why but I guess it sits over the anchor and then spins it round.
        I now drop the anchor by hand and once I feel it touch bottom drop it over the windlass and the wife takes the boat slowly astern while I let it out over the windlass. I can feel it bump and grind a little bit and then it digs in and we set the scope accordingly with out any other problems.
        However I did have a Delta on my previous boat and could just chuck the anchor and chain over the side without worrying about it and never had any problems.

Webmaster
        Participant

Hi,
          Thanks for your reply. I can’t say I have had many problems with the CQR, dragged once when sheltering overnight from severe weather in the Outer Hebrides, as did the only other two yachts there, and the occasional weed problems. The change is really motivated by a U-tube video of anchor tests involving dragging a CQR then a Delta along a beach with a Land Rover. In that test the CQR repeatedly failed to dig in whereas the Delta set immediately on every occasion. Granted it was a shingly/sandy mixed beach with the tide out so just how scientific the tests were is probably a matter of opinion. Also an article in the December issue of YM described the Delta as a development improvement on the best qualities of the CQR. Being that my preferred choice of overnights is at anchor on the West Coast of Scotland I feel I’d simply like to have as much going for me as possible.
          Any comments?
          Thank you.

Webmaster
          Participant

Hi,

One of the issues with the Bavaria standard issue anchors is that they are not true CQRs. They are “CQR type”. True CQRs were only made by Simpson Lawrence I think. There are small differences between the two which do seem to make a difference. I used to have a Bavaria “CQR” on my last boat (2000 Bav 31) and found a noticeable improvement when I borrowed a true CQR which was 5kg lighter.

The Delta (and similar) are supposed to do better in weed, because the point is sharp and heavy and should cut through the weed to the bottom. One type of anchor which a few people abslutely rave about on the Clyde is the Spade. These also come in aluminium, which makes handling easier.

Having said all that, I cruised the Hebrides this summer and did not drag once with the Bavaria CQR on my new boat (2001 Bav 40). MInd you, it is either 25 or 30kg and is a brute of a thing to handle. Technique is everything, as Sundance says. I always makes sure Mrs Dream Catcher or Junior Dream Catcher are going slowly astern when I drop the anchor, and just lay the chain out gradually using the clutch on the windlass.

If I was buying a new anchor it would probably be an aluminium spade.

Alastair

Webmaster
            Participant

Thanks Chaps,
              I have now talked myself round in circles. However, I think for my purposes I will give the Delta a go. The Spade is a bit pricey and the Rocna and Manson suggest they may require alterations to the stemhead and/or bow roller.
              Many thanks for your comments and if you see a Bav30 ‘going with the flow’ you will know I made the wrong choice.
              Cheers

Webmaster
              Participant

One question that I forgot to ask about the Delta anchor for a Bav 30 is: does anyone know whether it will fit without any alteration to the bow roller/cradle etc., or will the plough point be too long and therefore risk hitting the bow of the boat? If no one knows the answer, then I could always buy one on the ‘try the fit and return it’ basis from the local chandlers.
                I seem to be one of the very few posting daft questions on the forum at this time of the year!
                Thank you

Webmaster
                Participant

At least you are posting and that’s what the forum is here for.
                  As to your question I don’t know the answer so I suspect you will need to use the try and fit method as I suspect most Bav owners have stuck with the original fake cqr’s fitted.
                  Be appreciated if you could let us know how you get on.
                  Regards
                  Rick.

Webmaster
                  Participant

Thanks for your response Rick. I suspected that would be the likely answer. I’m not terribly keen on the idea of fakes or replicas of anything mechanical or electrical really and the Bavaria standard issue replica CQR appears, to me at least, to have a rather blunt plough cutting edge. I will certainly report back on the result of the trial-fit and later on on the performance of the Delta if there is anything note worthy.
                    Cheers
                    cdogg

Anonymous

I am also contemplating replacing my CQR with a Delta for use in Greece, due to repeated difficulties when weed about, at all other times the CQR has been OK.
                      I have an 18Kg Delta for my Bav 36 though not fitted yet. I tried it dry in the yard and the bow roller appears to be OK, but when docked in the cradle the locking pin over the shank will no longer fit as the shank is much wider on the Delta, so some modification will be needed.

Webmaster
                      Participant

We have a spade anchor on our Bavaria 36 in Greece and it has been brilliant. Much better than any anchor I have used over the years on charter boats. The locking pin on the stem fitting now no longer fits and has been removed. This is because of the curve on the shank.

Because of the anchor weight I am thinking of fitting hinging bow rollers to take some of the pressure off the winch just as the anchor comes over the front. Trouble is nobody seems to sell just the rollers to fit the original stemhead fitting although I have seen many larger Bavs with them on.

Also thinking of fitting one of those anchor straighteners which turn the anchor the right way before it comes over the front. Has anybody any experience of these?

Serendipity

Webmaster
                        Participant

Another vote for the Spade anchor. We’ve one on our 39 & it’s brilliant. We anchor as often as possible and it sets even thro thick weed!
                          We’ve only dragged once, and then only a very slow ‘creep’, when anchored in soft sand with both tide and wind against us.
                          I had a small mod done to the bow roller to allow the securing pin to fit over the top of the shank- just a couple of plates bolted thro the orig pin holes, to move the pin up. We also tie the anchor off inside the anchor locker.

John

Webmaster
                          Participant

Hi All,

I have just put an uprated 16KG Delta on my new 32 Cruiser and I have to say that it works an absolute dream!

I know that it is big for a 32 but it fits the bow roller spot on and sets first time everytime (well all 4 so far!!).

There is something to be said about peace of mind when you put the hook down and want some rest.

Regards
                            Steve
                            CaSam
                            32 Cruiser – Based at Ocean Village Southampton

Webmaster
                            Participant

@CaSam wrote:

Hi All,

I have just put an uprated 16KG Delta on my new 32 Cruiser and I have to say that it works an absolute dream!

I know that it is big for a 32 but it fits the bow roller spot on and sets first time everytime (well all 4 so far!!).

There is something to be said about peace of mind when you put the hook down and want some rest.

Regards
                              Steve
                              CaSam
                              32 Cruiser – Based at Ocean Village Southampton

Good to hear that CaSam. Are there any issues with the shank fitting in the anchor locker hatch? I’m planning on getting a 16kg Delta for my 32, but a little concerned re fitting on the bow. How about the locking pin, does that need removal or modifications made to the anchor or stem fitting?

Webmaster
                              Participant

We have a 2005 Bav 42. The original anchor (Bavaria CQR type) was very slow to set so we bought a 22kg Delta. This has been much better. We often anchor in Croatia and have dragged twice. Once I suspect we were not properly in on weed and the other time was with 30+kn and everyone else in the bay was dragging as well.

The pin does not fit into the shank of the Delta but it sits OK on the bow roller. We just tie it off for security.

Andrew.

Webmaster
                                Participant

Sorry for the delay – only just noticed the add on question…

As for the shank, straight into the anchor locker no problems.
                                  The anchor does sit quite high on the bow roller though and as such any straight locking pins will not slip though.
                                  I guess either a not rigid fixing or a another hole will need to be drilled through the shank.

Another word of warning is that if you have or intend to fit a bowsprit / prodder the oversize anchor head may get in the way!

Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.