Anonymous

We have got corrosion problems on the inlet pipe to the MD2030 heat exchanger casing. Our yacht is also 2002!

The tubular pipe that the front hose clamps to has corroded away. It looks as though it has corroded through from the inside and may have done this because the previous owner did not change the antifreeze? or contamination through the stupid rubber boots that hold the core of the heat exchanger? However, it is only the tube which screws into the casing that has corroded. The casing itself seems okay so is it a poor batch of material that the tubes are made from? I have tried to obtain new screw-in tubes but the volvo dealers say you have to buy the whole heat exchanger casing at £500ish

Because the failure of these tubes can lead to complete failure of the engine I would suggest that everyone with a Volvo 2030 engine should have a close look at where the two large hoses attach to the heat exchanger (one at the front just above the alternator and the other underneath) and if you can see moisture/ white corrosion get them checked.

I always thought that Volvo was a reputable maker of engines until I bought this boat. I don’t think an engine should give this sort of trouble after only 9 years.