• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just a quick questions about adding aerials. I have a Navtex aerial fitted in the transome compartment but it is too low to be effective so I want to get it higher. I have also now ordered a WiFi aerial (http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_42&products_id=328) to receive distant signals ashore (hopefully some free and unencrypted) but I need a place to mount these.

I would be interested to know if any other forumites have done this and where they have found a suitable spot to do it. I’m considering a small mast in the cockpit strapped to the pushpit corner. I don’t really want to go up the mast if I can help it.

Anonymous

Nick

I had a similar problem with additional aerials (Navtex, TV, AIS and GPS). I used a 5 foot SS tube with a T piece at the top, about 18″ wide, mounted on the corner of the transom and clamped to the pushpit. Everything fits neatly, is easily accessible with short(ish) cable runs to the chart table and all the associated equipment works just fine.

BTW – I don’t think mounting the Navtex aerial much higher is necessary; it works at fairly low frequency (500KHz). My old NASA unit works fine with the (whip) aerial about 8 feet above the water, picking up signals from Norway through to Greece!

Anonymous

Navtex works at low frequency and so height above the water should not be an issue – not like VHF. I have mine mounted on the pushpit rail, next to the GPS aerial and it works fine.

Note that because Navtex is low frequency it can be affected by transmission problems and so the reception quality may vary.

Anonymous

I have installed many navtex antenne on the push pit and they work fine. I have fitted a radar mast on a 2m stainless steel 60mm pole fixed to the transom and clamped onto the pushpit on my boat. I have added extension tubes clamped to the radar base for the GPS antenna and the Navtex antenna. These tubes extended about 250mm above the radar dome to avoid interference.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.