Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JohnSim
    Participant

I have a 2003 Bav32, which is a light model when compared to the Bav34 of similar age and the replacement which was the Bav33. I would like her to be more sea worthy in heavier weather. I am considering placing blast under the floor above the keel. Anyone think this may cause problems and does anyone know good place to get lead ballast. Sand in sandbags I have seen as a suggestion, but I do not think that will add sufficient weight to make a difference. Other option is a second water tank in the bow (useful as we only carry 135l), but I suspect that would make her nose heavy!

Anonymous

Hello John. I have the identical boat and have done several thousand miles in her. I agree with you that she is, and feels, ‘light’. She’s easily blown around when manoeuvring in marinas and in anything other than moderate seas she will be thrown about a lot. Remember that this boat is not really a passage-making sea boat; I should imagine that they are designed more for Mediterranean marinas rather than the high seas. I very, very much doubt that adding ballast as you suggest will make much difference. If you imagine how much the hull sinks when you step aboard then you can imagine how much ballast would be needed to make any difference even in just the waterline. I guess the answer is that if you want a serious sea-boat then you sell up and try something else. I sail frequently in company with a Westerly Corsair – a much heaver, sturdier boat – and that is far more assured in big seas than is the B32. Just my thoughts anyway.

JohnSim
        Participant

Thanks for your thoughts Jonathan and I of course remember your trip round the UK last year well, especially when you sailed though my patch of Firth of Clyde and up to Mull, and my home on the Firth of Forth. We retire next year and plan to do more sailing and it is that decision we will be facing, keep Barolo and improve her, or take on another boat knowing it will take a lot of time to get anywhere near the standard of Barolo. Like you, I accept her being light and just sail her as such, which is often very engaging, although sacrificing speed earlier than others.

Weight wise, I know what you mean about how can I add something like 500 – 1000kg, which is no small challenge. Was linking about lead weights and would be adding more battery capacity anyway. That along with more water capacity is only factor that has us considering a change.

Then we have current boat sales environment where it is easy to sell, but much harder to buy a good boat!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.