• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi everyone,

Its that time of year to get the boat out and get ready for the new season. This is my first time and I want to replace the anodes but don’t know what to order. Can anyone help please.

Anonymous

It would help if you told us your boat model!
        My boat is a 2002 44, and has 4 external anodes. 2 on the bow thruster , a ring anode on the saildrive, and a nose anode on the Brunton’s propeller.
        The ring anodes I buy from Zincsmart UK, and they will supply a machined one to fit the Ambassador rope cutter if you have one.
        The prop. nose anodes I purchase from Bruntons at huge expense, as I have not been able to find an alternative cheaper source.

Hope this helps,

Michael.

Anonymous

Anodes that need to be machined for Ambassador rope cutter can be obtained fro Ambassador direct. Mine are £75 from RK but if you drive to winchester, talk to the man about E type Jags and model steam engines you get them for £50.

Ant.

Anonymous

Zincsmart £12.50 each and plus £12 for machining to fit ambassador rope cutter. However I have drilled and filed the anodes myself although it is not easy to get the peg hole in the right place.
            M.

Anonymous

Wow £24.50 that is cheap. My 32 just had a bigger hole cut to go over the peg for the rope cutter. This one has to be milled on a rotary table or a 3 axis cam cad milling machine. Ill get on to them and buy a few to take with me when we set off.

Thanks Ant.

Anonymous

@timeoff wrote:

Zincsmart £12.50 each and plus £12 for machining to fit ambassador rope cutter. However I have drilled and filed the anodes myself although it is not easy to get the peg hole in the right place.
                M.

Spoke to the nice man at Zinc smart. The dont make the 130s split anode machined out for the Brunton. They could do in about 3 months he said. I offered to drive down and use his milling machine and rotary table to set up a pattern and detail the X, Y, Z, cords for him. But he has not got any 130s anodes. If anyone knows an engineer with a milling machine and a rotary table, there may be an opportunity here.

Ant

Anonymous

Thanks for the follow up – I should have mentioned my saildrive is a 120.
                  Machining the anodes, whether ring or split type is relatively easy; the hardest part is getting the locating pin hole in the right place. I placed two anodes, one old and one new, un-machined, back to back and marked the hole position on the anode to be machined. Then set up on a pedestal drill and drilled the hole. The cut out on the edge of the anode was filed by hand to fit the rope cutter.

As an aside, when I purchased two anodes recently, I was advised by Zincsmart that Aluminium anodes would work ok, ( a lot lighter too) I will try to remember to report on performance at the end of the season.

My anode ‘consumption’ is pretty high. I have in the past had to replace the ring anode and the Brunton’s nose anode every year.

M.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.