• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

On my baveria 32 I have 1 starter battery and2 large domestic. The power from all 3 is on or off on switch starboard tucked behind chart table. There is another with battery sign on it coloured red, this latter is again on starboard on kick board below starboard seat under chart table.(easy accessed from mid cabin area).Previous owner said if ever engine battery was too low to start throwing this red switch would allow engine to start but it is fed off domestic batteries and should be used only in emergency. My problem is not sure which is normal mode position for this swich horizontal or vertical. i don’t want to drain domestic batteries as engine battery is fine. All 3 batteries are reading 13.6 volts average so assume charging is fine. Also one ammeter has stopped working (the lower one which shows heavier plates on switch diagram) Is this a separate issue if so how do I resolve this also , which batteries is this fault ammeter from?) Many thanks 🙁 for any advise in the matters.

Anonymous

The easiest way to tell if the battery banks are connected together is to check the voltages. Turn on some lights in the saloon and then read the voltage of each battery bank. If the readings are the same then the batteries are connected together. Move the paralleling switch to the other position and check that the voltages are now different. This is where the switch should be for normal operation.

Regarding the ammeter question, I can’t help as I’m not aware that ammeters were fitted as standard to the B32. Do you mean voltmeters?

Anonymous

Thankyou so much re battery answer. Yes I meant Voltmeters

Anonymous

Hi Kea Leboha,
            The switch you mention is a requirement for vessels that are used commercially (charter boats), and is not a normal fitting on boats that have never been used commercially. As you have it already fitted you may as well keep it as a “just in case of emergency”. I have one on my boat which was used for charter until recently, but where the key for the switch was kept separate and was screwed to the nearby bulkhead. This was to ensure that charterers would not fiddle with the switch and inadvertently leave it switched on.
            You could disconnect one of the wires from the switch, and then check the switch with a multimeter to see which way was on or off. Having found out which way was which, then re-connect the wires, and leave it switched off and clearly marked.
            Good luck.

Anonymous

Re the lower “voltmeter” – This post may be 4 years to late – but the lower voltmeter is on my B32 a gauge showing how much water is left in your tank. I also thought it was a voltmeter!

David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.