Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello all,first time post.
      I’m the owner of a 1999 Bavaria 31 for 18 months. Out of the water at the moment and a local surveyor thinks my rudder is hanging too low.It was this way for the pre purchase survey and hasn’t moved since I’ve owned but would appreciate if any other Bavaria 31 or 32 owners had a similiar pic of theirs and could compare.
      On a side note, though the rudder may be too low it appears the steering quadrant may be too high as it’s rbbing against the fibreglass behind at full deflection, unless this is normal. Steering cables seem to be running straight.

I’m not sure how to post pictures but will do in a reply if I can figure out how!

Many thanks.

Anonymous

From memory the B31/32 should have about 6 mm of clearance from the top of the rudder to the underside of the rudder bearing that is bonded into the hull.Its a while since I set our old 32 up properly but basically you access the emergency steering via the cover where there is a large locking ring secured by an M6 machine screw (bolt). You release the machine screw and rotate the locking ring via the two indent holes(for which you will need to make a simple tool from 2 bolts and a piece of wood).Rotate the locking ring until you can fit a 6-7 mm shim in the gap between the rudder top and the lower plastic bearing. Tighten the locking ring lifting the rudder up until the shim is just pinched tight and can be removed buy two fingers. Them lock the locking ring with the machine screw.

Later boats around the 2004 on series had a pre shim washer fitted in this gap that should freely rotate but be quite snug.

Hope this helps.

Ant SV Impavidus

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.