Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JonathanMaddox
    Participant

My 2003 Bavaria has a ball-valve (with red handle) rather than a proper marine sea-cock. I should imagine that all were fitted with this kind of seacock.

The handle has seized on mine (thankfully with the ball-valve closed) so have I have to change it.

I want to replace with a marine bronze, or even a plastic one.

Does anyone have any advice; in particular, what size is the ball-valve and where can I get one.

Many thanks, Jonathan
      (Bavaria 32 ‘Bubble’ at Fleetwood)

bobclements
      Keymaster

Those are the standard-fit ball vales. I believe the inlets are 3/4″ and the outlets are 1.5″.

ASAP supplies is a good place to look for replacements. They sell brass, DTZ, Bronze, and Truedesign plastic ones.

JonathanMaddox
        Participant

I did my best to measure it with a caliper today – very difficult as there isn’t much space.

As far as I could tell the ball-valve was 1 3/4 inch in and 1 3/4 inch out.

JonathanMaddox
          Participant

In the end I replaced the outlet one with a 1 1/2 inch TruDesign plastic ball-valve and I am very pleased with it. It was impossible to unscrew the original, which was nickel-plated brass (not DZR) and when I tried the brass outlet elbow just crumbled to pieces due to dezincification damage.

So I had to grind the old skin-fitting off from the outside which was actually very easy. The original skin fitting is brass but it is quite thick and there was minimal dezincification. I replaced with a marine bronze one.

I’ll replace the three nickel-plated brass ball-valves under the sink next year, hopefully without having to replace the original skin fittings.

I also replaced the seawater inlet ball-valve on the saildrive for bronze one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘I can’t find it :-(’ is closed to new topics and replies.