• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am in the last throws of ordering a Bavaria 38 and am tempted towards the shoal keel version but cannot get comfortable with what I see as being a bit high tech for a cruising boat. I wonder what, if any problems, owners have had and I wonder too in the event of a grounding if the tandem keel would stand up as well or better than the fin ❓ .

Any views will be most welcome.

Jeff

Anonymous

Jeff,
        I have a 36 with the standard cast iron keel but have seen a few on the hard over the last few years with the shoal keel.
        Whilst they look durable enough and one owner I spoke to said they had no issues with it they will affect your ability to go to windward as the shallower the keel the lower the pointing ability and the greater the leeway.
        Some will argue that this is not the case as they are designed to give lift and help you point but if that were the case more boats would be sold with them.
        When or if I upgrade and get a newer bavaria I will go for the deeper lead keel. Better sailing ability and none of the rust problems that you get with the standard fin or shoal keels.
        Unless you need the shallower keel then I’d leave it in Germany in my opinion.
        Regards
        Rick

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘Bavaria 38’ is closed to new topics and replies.