• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have just bought a 2005 Bavaria 32.

Having “stepped up” from a 23 ft Hunter I hadn’t realised how much difference there was in the increased amount of windage on the Bavaria.

I have already been caught out by losing control of the bows whilst berthing in the marina.

I am therefore considering having a Sleipnir 4hp bow thruster installed.

As this is an expensive addition I am wondering if anyone else has one fitted on a Bav 32 and agrees that this would be money well spent or whether they think it unnecessary and I should be persevering getting used to her first before making a decision?

I would suggest that you have a season with the boat first, as I suspect that you just need to get used to it.

You really shouldn’t need a thruster on a boat that size.

Anonymous

Hi David

I agree with BobC. Bavs are light and voluminous and it’s a big difference from the Hunter. I’ve only had mine since last December and I’m still getting used to it from a Contessa 32; time required for approach planning has doubled (admittedly through the winter when I’ve noticed it’s been a bit windy at times). Definitely give it a season, especially as the (hopefully) lighter airs in summer will make it easier to predict what’s going to happen. Have fun!

ATB

Mark / Bav 34 “Figaro”

Anonymous

Totally agree with Bob and Mark….. the Bavs are light and voluminous.
          Catching the wind off the bow at slow speeds does result in a lot of windage and a very quick spin in bigger winds!

This is not all bad though and can be used to your advantage with planning and preparation in the right circumstances.

I personally am of the camp that a bow thruster is unnecessary on a boat of this size…. in fact I often comment that they are frequently used by stinkpot, (sorry – mobo) owners that have not actually taken the time or coaching on how to use their boats properly.

That being said it is good practice to use whatever tools you have to hand to make the process of close quarters manouvering as safe as possible for all parties concerned. If having a bowthruster fitted means that you will be safer and enjoy your boating better, (and that you can afford it) what does it matter for others opinions?

Whatever your decision, base it on your experience – just give yourself a chance to become accustomed to the boat first. If this means using a second person when you would normally single hand, then go for it to allow yourself the opportunity to learn the “feel” of the boat.

Steve

Anonymous

I fitted an external bow thruster to a bav 34 man what a difference its a exturn and also you can fit it in a few hours.

rgds
            Mike
            Artemis

Anonymous

I would be interested in details of your installation (fitted in only a few hours)?

Anonymous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk1PMLY8YfE

Please see the attached link it does not take long with two people. The only thing i screwed up with what when applying the large nut to the main threaded piece i should have lubricated it is stainless and they recommend you dont but i guald the threads and had to get Teflon spacers to cover the damaged threads. I also installed a battery forward with leads running from engine battery for charging. I assure you if you have all the preparation done it can be done in a morning.

rgds
                Mike
                Artemis

Anonymous

Have a season or so first,your confidence will grow rapidly the more you sail.
                  We bought a Bav 34 2 years ago and she is the most manoeuvrable yacht I have ever sailed ( or motored).
                  We keep her in Port Solent so lock in and out and she goes backwards really easily.
                  Give it a go for a while and you will surprise yourself and boost your confidence no end
                  Clive
                  Wish

Anonymous

I have to say I agree with Bob. Good counsel mate! We had twelve years with a 32 after stepping up from a a Westerly Griffon (27). Spend some time with fenders and lines on both sides mooring at pontoons in in tidal ways or marinas. Watch the wind direction, look at what the tide is doing to other boats. Stop your drive and see where your boat prefers to lie. Dont be afraid to use a big hand full of throttle in short bursts with the rudder set at the right angle to provide thrust in the right direction as needed. Remember the rudder will only give you stearage when there is water flowing over it, either from the tide, or the prop. Bavaria 32’s tend to pivot around the keel and lay 30degs or so off the wind in no tide waters. Use the prop wash in reverse and forward to manouver the aft end where you want it to be. Most important, use the mid cleat to hook the centre of the boat alongside, then use throttle and helm to drive the boat against the line while you hook up fore and aft lines.

Best regards Ant & Cid.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.