• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Ed

I’ve just come back direct from Jersey. As we entered the Needles Channel, just south of Bridge, in the pitch black (no stars or moon) there was, unusually, a ‘big ship’ coming out, and on a collision course. It was a simple matter to see his name on the AIS and call him up to identify ourselves. He was very pleased I made contact and we agreed a red to red crossing. Far easier than just calling “big ship in the Needles Channel” etc!

A further example of its use was in the NE going shipping lane. Several big ships looked to be on collision course (it’s difficult to assess this exactly as they approach from the port quarter). However, in all cases the AIS indicated they would pass either safe ahead or astern. The closest encounter was 0.6M. If you can estimate this from 3 miles out you are a better sailor than I am. Taking random (possibly wrong) ‘avoiding’ action could actually cause grief to the big ship. In general, I have found that they will take any avoiding action necessary, based on you maintaining your current course and speed.

AIS is very reassuring.

Rog

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.