• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi, I have a B42 and this is the first boat I have owned with a cast iron keel. The keel has several coats of antifoul and some small pitting. I am debating taking this back to bare metal. Could anybody recommend a coating to apply or should a simple metal primer be suffice. If anybody thinks it’s a bad idea to do this please advise. Many thanks

Anonymous

I had this problem with a Moody 30 a few years back.
        I had the keel grit blasted clean and primed straightaway with underwater primer, followed lots of primer and antifoul.
        The improvement in appearance and more importantly perfomance was considerable.
        It is important to get the first coat of primer on straightaway because rust will form very quickly even on what appears to be a dry day. ( look at your brake disks after a damp night )

Anonymous

I would stick to painting areas with Primacon, If you disturb the original coating it will never be the same again. Lots of work and agro for little gain.

Anonymous

Thanks Moodymike, That’s as I really thought. I will heed your advice.

Anonymous

Not a lot of work.
              Keel blasting £100.00 giving rust free finish.
              Cost of paint wasn’t cheap but I knew what was underneath the new paint.
              When you buy a used boat you have no real idea of hull and keel antifoulf history.
              When starting from scratch you know exactly what is there.
              Well worth it

Anonymous

@wished wrote:

Not a lot of work.
                Keel blasting £100.00 giving rust free finish.
                Cost of paint wasn’t cheap but I knew what was underneath the new paint.
                When you buy a used boat you have no real idea of hull and keel antifoulf history.
                When starting from scratch you know exactly what is there.
                Well worth it

Where did you get the keel blasted?
                Did you have the antifoul removed rfom the rest of the hull at the same time?

Anonymous

The CI keel on our B39 2006 became a rusty mess after 7 years. The problem is that cast iron has a lots of voids in it which contain contaminants which attack coating. I spoke the guys at Copper Coat who have firm ideas as to the remedial process, which involved Slurry Blasting, pressure washing twice daily for a week to flush out contaminants from the voids, several coats of Epoxy, followed by CC. Modern epoxies are designed to go on over flash rusting.
                  Suggest you speak to someone like International Paints or Coppercoat – they will not only give good advice, but also direct you to a decent contactor, who you can either use or simply pick his brains.

John

Anonymous

I had the Moody keel grit blasted when we were ashore at Wicormarine by mobile unit.
                    They took off several years of paint overs.
                    They hang a curtain around the boat to contain the dust.
                    It is essential to get the first coat of primer on as soon as they finish if you can.
                    Only did keel.have heard all sorts of tales about fibreglass damage when the hull is cleaned this way.
                    At the end of the day it is a personal choice.
                    Which ever way you choose preparation is everything.
                    Poor surface in painting of any sort gives poor results
                    We now do our hull and keel in the autumn when still warm enough for it to be reasonably enjoyable !!!???!!!
                    But then,I am retired

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.