• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Participant

We have a new Bavaria 31 and water settles on the cockpit seats aft, and forms a puddle, has anyone else had this problem
      It appears to be a design fault

Webmaster
      Participant

I have been in touch with Bavaria in Germany and they have said that they have noticed the design fault and have designed a retrofit kit to solve the problem and they will have it fitted to my yacht in a couple of weeks
        If anyone wants to see photos of the kit get in touch

Webmaster
        Participant

I have a similar problem on my 2000 Bavaria 31. When the boat is on its mooring it’s not a problem, as the water is dispersed by the motion. However, when the boat is in a marina or on the hard during the winter, water does gather on the cockpit seats. I’d be very interested in anything I could do to prevent this.

Alastair
          Electra 2

Webmaster
          Participant

Hi

I have the same problem on my 34, I had to lift the teak and replace the ply base then relay the teak strips. I would be very interested in what retrofit Bavaria have in mind as water still collects in the same place.

John

Webmaster
            Participant

I have recently fitted the kit to my 31, It consists of a drain fitting which takes the water away from the seat corner and drains through a through hull fitting. I fitted the throughhull in the cockpit side rather than the hull for safety and the system seems to work well.

Webmaster
              Participant

Hi,
                We had the same problem on our bavaria 34 which we purchased from Opal, New in 2001. Our solution was to manufacture our own drainage kit from 4No stainless steel bolts and 2No lengths of clear plastic hose of the correct diameter to fit snuggly onto the threads.
                You can use any size of bolts; from memory we used 8mm. The bolts were simply drilled out so that they would allow the passage of water. 2No bolts had their heads turned, in the lathe to form the same shape as a sink outlet and the other 2No bolts had their heads turned in the lathe to form a small gargoyle. The deck moulding was drilled Port and Starboard, to take the inlet fitting, at the deepest point of ponding. We then countersunk just enough to allow the inlet fitting to be flush with the gell coat. The outlet fittings were positioned so that they drain below the gas locker on port and in a similar position opposite on starboard. We then simply locked them in place with nuts and washers, having applied a bit of sealant, and connected with the flexible pipe.
                They are a bit on the small side so sometimes block, but we keep a length of wire in the toolkit to free them off. Once or twice a year does the trick.
                So if your boat is outside of dealer warranty, there is a simple solution and it has worked well for us for 8 years.

Hope this is of help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘Bavaria 31’ is closed to new topics and replies.