• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

We went to spend the day on the boat Saturday. There were a couple of little jobs we wanted to do.
      As I opened the companion way doors and the starboard side door was a little stiff on the hinge. As I opened it the last 10 degrees the bottom of the barrel hinge broke. On investigation I found the top and bottom of the hinge had rusted together and the threaded pin ad broken off in the door. I managed to remove the pin and separate the barrel with wd40 and mole grips but it really was rusted solid. In just 10 months the two half’s were almost locked together. The barrels and pins were just chromed monkey metal, not stainless or bronze/brass. So if your companion way doors are fitted with barrel hinges it may be a good idea to remove the small anti-lift pin and make sure the male and female half’s are lubricated with some silicone grease. Luckily I have a lathe and a milling machine at home and was able to make a replacement in 316 stainless. I have made 4 and a spare top, just in case. Why fit chrome steel on the outside of a boat? Bit daft Mr Bavaria.
      Anyway if you need one making let me know, it will cost you a Guinness 8)

Best regards.
      Ant.

Anonymous

Made a set of hinges for a chap who had the same problem.

You can see the video here: https://youtu.be/B2w-3u1f-fs

Anonymous

Nice one – well done!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.