• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Participant

When we are sailing our Bav33 off the wind we get a creaking noise every few seconds from somewhere underneath the pedestal, which you can also feel through your feet. It also can be heard in the aft cabin from behind the large removable panel directly underneath the pedestal. Has anyone else go this noise and do you know what it might be? It is not related to turning the wheel, since it happens even when the wheel is held still.

Michael
      “Vela”

Webmaster
      Participant

Hi, my Bav 34 does it as well. Would be interested to know what it is too!

Webmaster
        Participant

@Vela wrote:

When we are sailing our Bav33 off the wind we get a creaking noise every few seconds from somewhere underneath the pedestal, which you can also feel through your feet. It also can be heard in the aft cabin from behind the large removable panel directly underneath the pedestal. Has anyone else go this noise and do you know what it might be? It is not related to turning the wheel, since it happens even when the wheel is held still.

Michael
          “Vela”

You’ve probably thought of this already, but it’s not the prop trurning while you are sailing is it ?

Webmaster
          Participant

Def. not.

Webmaster
            Participant

Hi

It could be that your top nut on your rudder stock is slightly too tight? But be careful, I would expect it to be too loose rather than too tight. If it’s occured for no reason and you have not alterd anything then maybe something is rubbing the steering cables, worse still like mine I had a wire caught in one of the steering pulleys!

Remove the panel from the aft cabin and put your head in to the lazerette, look port side into the area under the binnacle and check for anyting amiss. While your there check your rudder stock where it runs through the cockpit sole down through the hull inside the lazerette.

Steve.

Webmaster
              Participant

Why don’t I read things properly first?!!

Sorry you already stated it is’nt when you are steering!! Ok is it when under engine? I experienced a knocking noise which I found was down to the exhaust outlet pipe bangine against the lazerette inner moulding.

Steve.

Webmaster
                Participant

Thanks for all the replies. The noise happens when sailing, the engine is in reverse to stop the prop turning and is not associated with turning the wheel. When it next happens I will take the panel off and see if I can see what is making the noise. Once I have found out I will let you know. I am only concerned that something might fail in a rough sea if I don’t get to the bottom of it.

Webmaster
                  Participant

Hi,

I know this sounds unlikely, but the worst noise we got when sailing our B34 was internal joinery moving within the aft cabin.
                    If you look at the aft port corner of the engine box you will find that it is supported on the forward vertical plywood facia of the double berth. The engine box simply sits onto the bed and has no form of joint. When the boat flexes, as when sailing hard, the engine box moves relative to the berth and if you sit with your finger on this spot you will feel it move in unison with the creaking.
                    The solution was to pour some teak oil into the joint to allow it to move without making the creaking sound. The amount of noise generated was far more than we believed possible from such a minor contact, but we now sail creak free.

Webmaster
                    Participant

Alan/Sheila, any chance of you taking a pic. of exactly where you put the teak oil? Sailed back from a Bav rally today in 20k of wind in a quartering sea and the noise really was intrusive. Thinh that you may have the answer 😀 Thanks Steve

Webmaster
                      Participant

Hi Steve,

Sorry cannot oblige with a photograph as my boat is on her summer mooring Menia Straits and i am off to Spain until mid October.

If you enter the aft cabin, look to your left and you will see the aft end of the engine box has a vertical corner post that sits on the plywood base to the berth. We simply built up the area with several layers of tape and poured in a small amount of teak oil. This stopped the end grain of the corner post making a noise as it moved on the plywood berth base. You should see the area i have described as soon as you remove or fold back the berth cushion.

regards,

Alan &Sheila

Webmaster
                        Participant

Many thanks …will give it a go next time out and report back 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.