• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have used many of the supper cleaning products on the market,
      None of them work as good as they claim.
      Does any one know of one that accualy works, or even a house hold
      Product that will clean my boat without meeting it.
      Bill (Blaue Maus)

Anonymous

@Breezer wrote:

I have used many of the supper cleaning products on the market,
        None of them work as good as they claim.
        Does any one know of one that accualy works, or even a house hold
        Product that will clean my boat without melting it.
        Bill (Blaue Maus)

Anonymous

Hi Bill

I just use Flash and then Cif on the tough stains followed by Boatwax to bring back a bit of shine/colour.

For the non slip areas, a pressure washer works well at removing the dirt but don’t use too much pressure as it can cause ‘pin pricks’ in the gel.

Roger

Anonymous

Hi Bill,

Any cleaner which contains some bleach will work, but not sure it is good for GRP. Other kitchen cleaners are abrasive but may be no worse than the rubbing compounds we use to remove weathering. The product that does remove deep stains is Y10. This product, along with most teak cleaners contains Oxalic acid, which I believe is from Rhubab. Having purchased a lot of Y10 at £12 for a small pot, I talked to my local chemist who was happy to supply me with powder, which when mixed with water gave me Oxalic acid. You can also buy it on the net using Oxalic acid as the search engine.
            The only problem we then found was that because it was not a gell it was less effective, however I have just returned from my boat in Brittany having cleaned all the GRP with my home brew cleaner to which I added some wallpaper past to make a gell and it worked just as good as the Y10. A word of caution; don’t let it dry for too long as a strong mix sticks to the GRP well enough to wallpaper the hull.

Anonymous

Alan is correct about Y10, oxalic acid and wallpaper paste – I can see he’s been reading the YBW Forum as well!. I’ve found oxalic acid is most effective on the waterline stains, less so on plain old ‘dirt’ that settles on the deck, but worth a try.

CIF is slightly abrasive but certainly works and a bit of Boatwax afterwards brings back the shine.

Have fun!

Roger

Anonymous

Starbrite deck cleaner is the best dedicated boat cleaner I’ve found. Costly as you would expect, but you can use it sparingly and it does what it says.

(and I don’t have shares in the company!)

Cheers

Dek

Anonymous

Hi Roger, This is the only forum I use, so I assume that you have seen my idea already in use on another forum. There must be more original thinkers in this world than you and me.

Enjoy your sailing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.