• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Participant

Hi
      Has anyone had any concerns re thye state of the skin fittings on their Bavaria? Or indeed had need to replace said fittings because they were becoming suspect?

We have a B34 2002 vintage and she has just been lifted. She is coppercoated.
      I have noticed that the skin fittings (on the outside) are showing distinct areas of pink – which I believe is an indication of the problem(????).

I have not yet had the chance to view the fittings from the inside.

Any comments appreciated.

John

Webmaster
      Participant

We have a 2006 B39 which is also Coppercoated, & the skin fittings show pink on the outer flange. The holding tank Seacocks have been quite stiff for a while, so I’ve decided to replace the below waterline assemblies when we lift at end June.
        I’ve bought reinforced nylon assemblies, made by TruDesign. About £120 for 2x38mm + 2x19mm assemblies (skin fitting, Seacocks & tail pipe). At that price it seems no brainer to change them.

John

Webmaster
        Participant

Thanks for your reply, John, and yes it does look like a no brainer. Changing subject slightly – is your keel coppercoated and if so what state was it in when you last lifted?

The reason I ask is that we have rust patches on the keel in the area of the hull joint and even though we clear the rust and re-do the coppercoat, the rust patches are there again next lift. The coppercoat was done professionally and the keel was epoxied before coppercoating.

We have had coppercoat for 4 years now and apart from this one problem we are very satisfied it. A wash down with the pressure washer (done by boatyard) and a light abrasion with scotchbright and she’s ready to go.

If only we coud solve the keel problem.

John

Webmaster
          Participant

Hi John,

We have had a problem with rusting of our keel from when we bought our B34 in 2002. She is not copper coated. We employed a water blasting company in 2004 to blast the keel down to bear metal. The hull was protected local to the top of the keel and it took two men to hold the water lance. You could not have cleaned the rust off more thoroughly. This was a major industrial process. We found that the casting was very poor and there were lots of slag deposits left from the casting process. Some of these were up to 25 mm deep and similar in diameter. You are probably experiencing rusting from within the surface of the casting as it is impossible to clean back to clean solid metal. We coated ours with six layers of primer similar to Primacon but thicker, but we still get the rust coming through from below the primer. I think its an ongoing clean and patch each year as any system you apply will simply be locking in the rust behind that is within the casting slag.

Webmaster
            Participant

We have Coppercoated from new & the keel is very rusty. I don’t think the keel was epoxied before copper coating. We spend the winter in the water and lift out for July/Aug when we return to the UK. I’ve arrange to have the keel slurry blasted, treated, epoxied & Coppercoated this summer in Preveza. The keel / hull joint will need raking out & resealing as well.
              I’ll let you know how it goes.

Webmaster
              Participant

@John Fowler wrote:

We have a 2006 B39 which is also Coppercoated, & the skin fittings show pink on the outer flange. The holding tank Seacocks have been quite stiff for a while, so I’ve decided to replace the below waterline assemblies when we lift at end June.
                I’ve bought reinforced nylon assemblies, made by TruDesign. About £120 for 2x38mm + 2x19mm assemblies (skin fitting, Seacocks & tail pipe). At that price it seems no brainer to change them.

John

Hi John, interesting to note that your holding tank seacocks have been stiff. CaSam is exactly the same. She too has been coppercoated albeit she is only a couple of years old. I wondered if the stiffness was partially due to one of the benefits of coppercoat – the fact that she stays in the water and does not benefit from coming out / drying off and allowing good lubrication and maintenance of the underwater cocks? That said though the engine seacock is as smooth as silk??

Let us know how you get on with the nylon assemblies – maybe some pics of the installation before and after?

As for keel joint rusting, I can not really comment with authority, CaSam has only been out for a “spray off” a couple of times and I have dived under for anodes etc. but I have not seen anything YET! understanding “Value Engineering” I guess it will only be time?

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.