• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Having just been towed in by the Eastbourne lifeboat, I have learned this following lesson and every boat owner needs to know. Apologies if you already know but many will not.

Diesel bug is becoming VERY common, especially since the introduction of reduced sulphur fuels because of new EU rules. It builds up and will eventually block your filters AND fuel lines. When you change your fuel filters, if you see a black slimey substance you have it! I understand from the lifeboat people its happening regularly that engines are stopping because of it. You can pick it up from a fuel filler pipe that has been put into a contaminated tank!

How do you know if the engine is going to stop? Do this before every trip…………….

PRESS THE MANUAL FUEL PRIMING PUMP PLUNGER IN AND IF IT DOES NOT COME OUT & IS FLOPPY, THERE IS A VACUUM IN THE PUMP & EITHER A BLOCKED FUEL FILTER OR THE FUEL LINE BETWEEN THE TANK AND PUMP IS BLOCKED BY THE BUG. It could be that one of the pump valves is stuck but this is very unlikely. My fuel shut off valve at the tank was blocked, probably because I do not use it.

The bug killer breaks the bug down and it will be caught by the filters. You then have to change the filters much earlier than the specified period. It was suggested every 50 hours to me. Note there are additives for water contamination and bugs. They are not the same. Use both. Get rid of the water to stop it growing and the bug killer to kill it. I’m going to use the bug killer in my diesel car!

Webmaster
      Participant

Can Anybody confirm that there are inspection hatches on Bavaria Fuel tanks? I have a B32 but have not found one despite the manual saying there is. What are the two small pipe oulets that appear to be a push fit next to the main outlets? Could they be used to draw of a fuel test (to check for water contamination )?

Anonymous

@moodymike wrote:

Can Anybody confirm that there are inspection hatches on Bavaria Fuel tanks? I have a B32 but have not found one despite the manual saying there is. What are the two small pipe oulets that appear to be a push fit next to the main outlets? Could they be used to draw of a fuel test (to check for water contamination )?

I would suggest the easiest way is to take the fuel sender out giving you quite a large hole to do an inspection. If the gasket is still ok you can just reseal with a gasket goo. On my 2007 37 its just under the removable boards. Alternatively if the filler hose is straight suck some up from the bottom with a bit of clear tube.

Another suggestion is to replace the alloy filter lower bowl with a clear plastic one. The old glass ones are now not available as they can break. It is illegal in some rivers to have a glass bowl now and I doubt your insurance company would be sympathetic if one broke and you had a fire. This will show any water contamination. You will also get white steam continuously from the exhaust although you can get steam for other reasons such as overheating.

Webmaster
          Participant

Just found this thread re Bavaria fuel cocks.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237748&highlight=bavaria+35

Anonymous

@moodymike wrote:

Just found this thread re Bavaria fuel cocks.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237748&highlight=bavaria+35

Perhaps the RNLI should charge bavaria for the tow ins! Next job – drill the stop cock out or remove it.

Webmaster
              Participant

I assume you have a volvo penta engine! I had the same problem with red diesel I contacted Volvo direct and they recommend white diesel NOT red in all volvo engines. I have never had a problem for over 2 years now and it starts a lot better

Rgds
                Mike
                Artemis

Anonymous

If this is becoming a problem as it is and the answer is a bug killer, why aren’t fuel suppliers adding it? Or why dont the EU after making an uninformed decision make fuel suppliers do it?

Webmaster
                  Participant

@moodymike wrote:

Another suggestion is to replace the alloy filter lower bowl with a clear plastic one…

This is an excellent idea, has anyone seen such a thing?

@achilles/medway wrote:

If this is becoming a problem as it is and the answer is a bug killer, why aren’t fuel suppliers adding it?

Actually, they do – but probably not enough. Grotamar was developed for this very purpose, the marine use is a spin-off.

Webmaster
                    Participant

Why should I worry about diesel bug in my Bavaria if I do nothing at all with my VW Golf that uses diesel fuel?
                      Does anyone else put anything in their diesel cars?

Is this just a case of poor maintenance of diesel tanks in marinas? If the fuel is not fit for purpose then surely there could be a claim against the fuel companies of the supplier?

TRUNDLETRUC

Webmaster
                      Participant

Fuel in your boat tank will usually last quite a few months.
                        Fuel in your car lasts a couple of weeks …

T/o in your car is far higher so the bugs never (or rarely) get to a critical mass …

Anonymous

@SERENDIPITY wrote:

Why should I worry about diesel bug in my Bavaria if I do nothing at all with my VW Golf that uses diesel fuel?
                          Does anyone else put anything in their diesel cars?

Is this just a case of poor maintenance of diesel tanks in marinas? If the fuel is not fit for purpose then surely there could be a claim against the fuel companies of the supplier?

TRUNDLETRUC

The problem is worse on boats because we leave the diesel tank partially full and condensation builds up especially in the winter. Car diesel tanks get filled and flushed regularly unlike boats.

Motorhomes when left unused in the winter with low fuel tanks can get the same problem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.