• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I assume you all know this, but just in case…………..

I think it was in about early 2010 following an EU ruling, the sulphur content was deleted (or reduced) in diesel. The sulphur as a side effect stopped marine bugs growing. That means that everybody is now in danger of their diesel supply being contaminated. What it does is block fuel filters and valves and worse can damage the FIP even if you have new filters.

How do you know you have it? Well, either the engine stops or you find it in the filters when you change them. I’m told it looks like a black slime. How do you stop it? Either continually use the diesel like you do on a car not giving the bug time to expand or use bug killer every time you fill up. You think you are ok with non contaminated diesel from a good supplier? You just need to insert the diesel filler nozzle after somebody has used it previously with the bug and you have got it!.

A TIP – operate the manual diesel fuel pump lever or plastic piston. If it does not return you have a suction in the fuel supply possibly by the bug blocking somewhere, or in the case of the push in piston, if its all floppy with no further resistance you have the problem of blockage. The piston should return and always have resistance when pushed. I do this before I start the engine every time, just to check.

I’m told by the lifeboat people its the most common reason for callouts.

Fortunately I used diesel bug killer as soon as they stopped the sulphur content. Beware leaving a diesel car or motorhome for long periods without use. Supermarket diesel is low sulphur.

Anonymous

Hi Folks ……. We have a fellow Bav owner who is an expert in this field , he is the owner or co owner of fox fuel treatments , just sailed the Atlantic with him in his Bav 47 …… got some from him and he assures me , just give it a shot before every season and all will be fine …….. think he is also a fellow BOA member ….. hope this is of help …….. Ken.

Anonymous

Hi,

I had the bug in my tank and the engine packed up 1/2 an hour out going down a buoyed channel! We then had to do a text book sail out of the channel. What I carry now that never fails is a cheap car inflation pump the ones that do your tyres.

When and if I get it again if you can drop the anchor or get to sail away from danger (if you can) I then disconnected the main feed pipe from the tank to the fuel filter, then stick the pump with one of the adaptors into the pipe coming from your tank. Put the air pump into a 12v socket, turn it on and it will blow the bug (crap) back into the tank.

I found that this also broke up the bug large bits into smaller ones for the filter to handle until you get back in. Then I got a good bug treatment to break it all up for the filter to handle. So a small tyre compressor did it for me.

I always carry one and it is good for unblocking a holding tank (if you have one) by putting the pump into the air breather at the top of the tank, the pressure pushes out all the blockage at the bottom!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.