• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

One of the things on the “to do list” this winter is to polish the blue stripes on the sides of the coaming and coachroof. The blue colour is faded and has a milky finish to it. Has anybody got a solution/product which will revive the colour?

Anonymous

Mike

I’ve had excellent results using a polish called ‘A-GLAZE’. You can buy it on line from their website; it’s expensive but worth it provided you’re prepared to spend time and a bit of elbow grease on the job. My 32 is starting her seventh season and looks as good as new, I re-polish her each winter with a top-up mid-summer.

Good luck

Ian Culley
        Another Fantasy

Anonymous

Hi,

We had the same problem on our B36 (2003). We solved the problem by polishing the stripes with a good quality polish then immediately masked the blue area with masking tape and sprayed it with clear lacquer. We did this 6 months ago and it still looks great with no sign of any problem with the lacquer.

Andrew Smith
          Dawn Magic 😀

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses. I was surprised how well the stripes have come up with just a good quality polish product and plenty of elbow grease. They now look as new and will benefit from frequent attention to keep them lookin so.

Mike

Anonymous

Hi

I posted a reply about polishing and spraying with lacquer. Unfortunately this doesn’t work and the fading comes back after about 12 months. However, I am now trying another solution. I have used International’s Oxford Blue paint on the stripes. I rubbed the stripes down with very fine wet and dry then masked them off and painted them with the Oxford Blue. This exactly matches the original colour. I am told the International paints have a UV protector added so they shouldn’t fade. Only time will tell! However, we did the painting in October 2009 and last week, after a very cold and snowy winter in Scotland it still looks like new.

I will let you know how we get on after a year. If it works it might be a solution to this problem.

Andrew
              Dawn Magic

Anonymous

Hi, Does anybody know the exact colour of the stripes on a 1996 Bavaria Holiday 35, as they are definately not Oxford Blue as they have a green tint

Ed Holmes

Anonymous

Hi, Just an update on the faded stripes. We re-painted the ones on our Bavaria 36 in October 2009 with International’s Oxford Blue. It is now Spetember 2012 and they still look like new. This seems to be a good solution to the problem. One of our neighbours with a B32 has just done his with the same paint and it looks great.

Andrew
                  Dawn Magic

Anonymous

@Dawn Magic wrote:

Hi, Just an update on the faded stripes. We re-painted the ones on our Bavaria 36 in October 2009 with International’s Oxford Blue. It is now Spetember 2012 and they still look like new. This seems to be a good solution to the problem. One of our neighbours with a B32 has just done his with the same paint and it looks great.

Andrew
                    Dawn Magic

Hi, Did you spray the paint or use a brush?
                    Thanks,
                    Stewart
                    Trolllinger

The stripes on my coachroof were past polishing (too many years in the sun). After trying every way I could to get the colour back, I decided there was no option but a re-spray.

So after a few goes with different colours, I eventually found the perfect colour match.

So, the dark blue that they used from about 2003 onwards, is Ford Balliol Blue. You can get it from Halfords. I didn’t use a primer, simply masked-up and sprayed it directly onto the striped.

Looks like new again now.

This is the paint you need http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-spray-paints/halfords-ford-balliol-blue-car-spray-paint-300ml

Anonymous

Sounds like a good solution and one I have been thinking about, colour match was always going to be the problem.

How many coats did you apply and cans did you need in total?

Thanks

Simon

Anonymous

Interesting to see this thread emerge again! After many seasons trying different (expensive) potions and lotions to try to keep the stripes on my 2002 vintage B32 from fading, none of which worked for more than a few months at a time, I’ve just bitten the bullet and had the coachroof stripes on my 32 ‘re-done’ with colour matched vinyl. The work was done by the local marina artwork business and the results are superb; well worth the cost.

Ian Culley
                        Another Fantasy

@Mistral wrote:

Sounds like a good solution and one I have been thinking about, colour match was always going to be the problem.

How many coats did you apply and cans did you need in total?

Thanks

Simon

Just one coat each side, straight on top of the GRP. 1 tin for each side was plenty.

Anonymous

Hi.
                          Stripes, decals and other hull additions are always a problem as time goes by. UV light, sea spay and nitrate based cleaning mediums such as Fairy liquid 8) will cause the surface to degrade. All plastics are susceptible to the marine environment and will degrade. Reds, Oranges, and colours at this end of the spectrum will be affected to a greater effect as opposed to blues, greens and colours at the other end of the spectrum.
                          You can polish out the oxidisation or white surface contamination, but, all polishing removes a layer of the surface, thinning the base material.
                          Having said that, Farecla G3 Rubbing Compound Regular Cutting Paste,
                          (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/291282651120?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108)
                          is a good medium to cut back the affected area.

Polish by hand, or better still using a mechanical polishing machine, then treat and polish with a good quality marine polish and hand finish with soft cloth.

Word of warning!

Cutting compounds can produce heat with mechanical polishing machines. You will need to lubricate the polisher foam & bonnet with water to prevent friction causing heat that can damage the decals or stripes.

By hand it will take much longer but there is less chance of damage.
                          As a guide or old Bavaria 32 (2003) took 3 hours to rejuvenate the top side stripes.

Hope this is of help.

If you need any help or need to borrow a polisher PM me.

Best regards
                          Anthony

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.